Creamy Spinach Soup - Bittman

Cheese is floating on the surface

Tonight feels cold and in need of something warm and creamy.  I went to my old blog, My Sweet and Savory and found this delicious soup.   The words below are from my original printing.  I did make some changes tonight which are reflected in the recipe.  I could have had a dozen bowls of this soup.  It was not filling.  It has a wonderful taste to it, combination of spinach and parsley with that spurt of sour cream and Mexican cheese.  Why don't I  make this more often?

Below is from My Sweet and Savory:


I have been a fan of Mark Bittman for years and I never tire of reading his column in the
New York Times. Even my husband, who is a foodie, only because he eats, follows that 
column. I used to belong to a group that cooked Bittman recipes, weekly and we never 
had a problem finding new ones that most of us loved.

Mark has made changes in his cooking style and now can be looked at as a healthy chef. 
I was thrilled with his article on four kinds of soup and the freedom we have to make 
changes, all we want. Yes, we all know we can change recipes and am pretty sure that 
a lot of us do that automatically. Mark makes it easier with his options. I have found 
ingredients, I had not thought to put together, until Mark listed it as an option.

Mark Bittman’s Creamy Spinach Soup (adapted)

Ingredients:


1 large onion, thin sliced
2 cups water
2 cups vegetable broth
pinch of black pepper 
1 package fresh spinach (about 1 pound)
1/2 cup parsley leaves
1 cup Greek style yogurt (I did not have any plain yogurt so I subbed in sour cream)
1 cup Mexican cheese

Method:

Place 1 sliced onion,  2 cups water, 2 cups broth and pepper in a pot over high heat. 

Boil, cover, lower the heat and simmer until the onion is tender, about 10 minutes. 

Add 10 ounces chopped spinach and 1/2 cup parsley leaves; cook until the spinach is tender, 2 to 3 minutes. 

Add 1 cup sour cream and Mexican cheese and purée, using immersion blender.

Eat and enjoy. This is scrumptious and I have a feeling, I could eat it daily. It is quick and easy to make and warms you up.

Linked to 
Saturday Night Fever      Foodie Friday at Rattlebridge           Eat Create Party     Best of the Weekend       
 Weekend Bites                      
See Ya at the Gumbo                  Treasure Box Tuesday      Two Cup Tuesday              Fat Tuesday       Hearth and Soul Hop       Real Food Recipe Round Up 
   

Comments

  1. Sour cream and cheese...the spinach soup must be very flavourful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so yummy for a cold evening! I love soup of almost any kind, and have been trying to find something new to make, I think this will be it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious soup with sour cream and cheese, thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop. pinning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bittman is great. Thanks so much for bringing this by Weekend Bites.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost