Sweet Potato, Apple and Mango Hash


The word, hash, does not inspire me.  It makes me wonder why I chose to make this recipe from Anne Burrell.  I decided to look up the definition and see is there is a reason for my negativity to this word.  Just look at this.



Hash Definition 
n. noun
A dish of chopped meat, potatoes, and sometimes vegetables, usually browned.
A jumble; a hodgepodge.
A mess.
To chop into pieces; mince.
To make a mess of; mangle.


Perhaps the definition explains my reaction.  A jumble, hodgepodge, mess......That is what it is though.  I cut up a bit of this and a bit of that and ended up with a delicious mess, hash.


Sweet Potato, Apple and Mango Hash



Ingredients:




2 purple yams, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 dice
2 carrots, sliced thin



Extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, cut in 1/2-inch dice
2 Granny Smith apples, cored and cut into 1/2-inch dice

1 mango, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice


Method:



Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

In a large bowl, add the sweet potatoes, yams and carrots and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, to taste. Toss to coat and arrange them on a baking sheet. 


Roast the vegetables until they are soft but not mushy, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and reserve.


Heat a large saute pan with olive oil.

Add the onions and saute until the onions are very soft and aromatic. 

Add the apples and mango and saute for 3 to 4 minutes.


Stir in the sweet potatoes, yams and carrots and saute until  cooked through and starting to become crispy, about 7 to 8 minutes.


Eat and enjoy.  Since this is supposed to be a hodgepodge, feel free to add whatever veggies, you would like.  I could see yellow squash fitting in nicely.
I'm sharing this post with :

Cook-Your-Books

Comments

  1. I have never made anything named "hash" before, and that definition doesn't inspire a good reason to change that, lol. The flavor combination is what I love about this dish!! I can't wait to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hash, but have never tried it with mango before! Such a lovely and interesting ingredient! Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost