Cookbook Week

I thought that it would be fun to pick a different cookbook for each night of the week.  I am fortunate enough to have many cookbooks and I want to use them all.  This should be a blast to do.  

Dinners:

Monday - Tomorrow is a Jewish fast day. It starts tonight at sundown and lasts for 25 hours.  We eat only one cooked food and have other uncooked foods with it.  My criteria for picking a recipe is that it is filling and that I love it.  I had selected Ten by Sheila Lukins for Monday and I immediately turned to potatoes and found a recipe for Silky Mashed Potatoes on page 129.  It sounds creamy and delicious.

Tuesday - We end our fast on Tuesday night, one hour after sundown.  Usually, we bring in bagels and cream cheese and I make a filling egg dish so I looked in my next choice of a cookbook, Food Network - a Thousand Easy Recipes.  I selected this book since I know that after a 25 hour fast, I don't want to fuss.  I found the greatest egg dish, Hash Brown Eggs with cheddar cheese and onions.  Page 118.
   


Wednesday - We haven't had meat except on the Sabbath so tonight, we bring meat back into our diet. I selected the  Melissa Clark book, Cook This Now and opened it to any page, hoping it would be THE recipe.  I opened to That-Style Ground Turkey wit Chiles and Basil.  I love the Thai flavor and this needs a simple rice and a green vegetable for a complete meal.    Page 233.




Thursday - If we have fish during the week it is usually on Thursdays so I decided to check out Dorie Greenspan's, Around My French Table for a salmon recipe and of course, I found one.  Roasted Salmon and Lentils includes vegetables and makes a filling meal.  Page 300.



Friday - Shabbos Night - I chose the Whole Foods Kosher Kitchen by Levana Kirschenbaum.  I won this book from Joy of Kosher and has fantastic recipes.  My problem was selecting just one chicken dish but I managed to do it.  Chicken in Walnut Sauce on page 185. Roasted Leeks and Onions - page 232 and Vegetable Pancakes - page 303.


This is for Meal Plan Monday where you will find many wonderful weekly menus.  I had lots of fun making this menu and I hope to enjoy eating it, even more.  The pictures are from Bing images.

Comments

  1. Chaya,
    I think it is wonderful how you find so many interesting recipes in your cookbooks.
    For some reason, I usually make up my recipes based on what I see in the market and then I just come home and create something, I think I'm going to try it your way for a week. Looks like fun! I'm going to did out some of my cook books. I have a Jewish cookbook that belonged to my mother from 1954. thanks for sharing your ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost