Turkey Pad Thai Salad


The choice of dish for Eating With Ellie is a shrimp pad thai, something I can't have, being kosher.  I subbed in turkey to make the dish work and the turkey was a good fit.  Thanks to Glennis  for selecting this.

I had some cute problems making this dish.  I bought a bag of shredded cole slaw and when I went to get the components of the recipe, I discovered the cabbage was bad.  As a result,  I made a tiny faux salad to show you how it looked with slaw.  Then I made my own meal without the cole slaw and that is the other dish.
Without the slaw

When I had put it all together, I thought to myself, this would be better warm rather than as a cold salad.  I took the bowl and put it into the microwave for about a minute.  It was delicious.  I would make this  as a main course, a little heavier on the protein, served hot.

Ellie mentions, in the beginning of her book, Weeknight Wonders, that she gets these recipes to be under thirty minutes, by using her time wisely.  This is translated to using down time (pasta cooking, cake baking) to do another part of the recipe.  Unfortunately for me, this did not work, in this recipe, for me.

I, generally like to get everything prepared ahead of time and lined up to go which is not what Ellie prescribes.  I read this recipe through three times to break down the jobs.  It made little sense to me, the way it was presented, using time in the best way (supposedly).

I did cook the pasta first and while it was cooking, I got the ingredients for the dressing, as well as the herbs and the rest of the ingredients.  I shredded my carrots and julienned the basil, at this point so it would be with the remaining ingredients.
With the slaw

Somewhere in here, I cooked the eggs and readied them to go into the dish.  Ellie did not say whether to break the scrambled egg into small pieces but I did that. I did not find the directions clear but that could have been just me.

After this, I dumped everything into the dish and heated it.  Voila, I had myself a delicious meal.

I can't wait to see what the other members of the group have made this week.  Join me at Eating with Ellie to find out.  If you would like to make this dish do so and link up to this page.  We would love to have you join us.
                                            

Linked to:       Waste Not Want Not Wednesday         Lou Lou Girls                      What's Cooking Wednesday             Full Plate Thursday      This is How We Roll  

Comments

  1. I hate when I bring something home and it's bad. It is so time consuming to go back and come home again .The recipe looks interesting .You had to substitute turkey, I would have to substitute tofu.. no matter what the protein it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie Oliver also writes the instructions in that way - like a time line, but in paragraphs - which I find hard to follow sometimes. I think that since we have been cooking a long time, we prefer to know there are four parts: eggs, noodles, dressing, vegetables; and make our own decision on how to interleave them for efficiency. Ellie does that for the reader so it seems like there are more like seventeen parts since you're doing a bit of this and a bit of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I served it hot second and third time and I agree that it was good that way. I like the Ellie writing as I cook like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all looks wonderful, and most everyone seems to have enjoyed it as you did, so I am looking forward to making it for makeup week as I didn't get to it last week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make a pad thai and can get it done in under 30min, but that's also partly a product of practice, I know to get the noodles going first, then what to prep so I can throw it all together super fast. Sometimes what works for one person doesn't work for another's process. Regardless, thanks for sharing this on Waste Not Want Not Wednesday :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost