Gefilte Fish Cakes


We eat gefilte fish at least twice, and sometimes three times on Shabbos (Sabbath).  Many years ago, I found a need to find ways to make it a little bit differently.  I started baking it, then I made patties, then I served it in a sauce and now I am making a completely different kind of patty.

The original recipe from Kosher by Design, Cooking Coach calls it a faux crab cake and uses surimi imitation crab.  I could see no reason to do that.  I wanted gefilte fish.  


Gefilte Fish Cakes  (adapted from Susie Fishbein)


Ingredients:

1 roll of gefilte fish
1 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 red bell pepper, minced
1/4 cup onion, minced
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 dash Tabasco
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning  (I didn't have - added a spice mix from my shelf)
Juice of 2 lemons
1 cup bread crumbs (used Panko)

Method:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees 



Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper. 


In a bowl, combine all ingredients except breadcrumbs. Using a fork, mix to combine the ingredients.  

Add breadcrumbs and gently mix in with a fork.


Shape into cakes or use an “ice cream scooper” and place 1 1/2 inches apart on baking pan. Flatten each gently. Bake approximately 15 minutes or until browned.


Serve with Duck Sauce

Eat and enjoy.

Linked to:     Treasure Box Tuesday    Hearth and Soul Hop     Tuesday’s Table            Fat Tuesday          Weekend Potluck        What'd You Do  This Weekend         

Comments

  1. The only time we ( not me- my family) ever eats gefilte fish is on Passover. I never realized you could use it to make other recipes. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard of gefilte fish but never eaten it. It sounds lovely in these fish cakes, with the delicious addition of the Worcestershire and Dijon mustard. Fish cakes are so versatile, I love to serve just one with salad as a starter or a couple with potatoes and vegetables for a main course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This I will share with my Jewish friends for sure..Sounds delicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. This I will share with my Jewish friends for sure..Sounds delicious

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost