ALS and cooking changes



There has been a major change in our lives, a very difficult one.  Over a year ago, my husband was diagnosed with ALS.  The first year went rather smoothly with only slurred speech but in the past months, there has been a big change.  He can't swallow and has a feeding tube.  His speech is unintelligible and his ability to breathe has changed although I am thankful, he is breathing on his own.

I don't really have to say more.  We have no idea what tomorrow brings but fortunately, we are spiritual people and believe that God runs the world.  I don't have to understand everything; I do have to accept it.

Granted this is a difficult one to handle but we are doing just that. We are blessed with wonderful children who are there for us.  We have the bonus of some married grandchildren who have stepped in to be there also. This plus good friends and neighbors gives us a strong support system.


The little ones bring the most joy in their special way.  I get such joy when I see my husband holding the one year old.  She loves him so much and runs to him to be picked up and makes nice to him and hugs him.  I think, she senses, something is wrong because as much as she loves her parents and me, she shows her love in different ways to us.

My cooking is going to change. Actually it has.  I don't like cooking for myself but the different groups, I belong to are forcing me to eat and since the food turns out to be yummy, most of the time, I am getting some good meals during the week.  I modify the recipes to cook for one and that brings sadness with it.

I want company each Shabbos and that gives me reason to really cook.  Most of my cooking is done for Shabbos and I have been going overboard.  Cooking is good therapy, especially slicing and dicing.  I take it out on my Shabbos company and I hope they are liking it.  I have been experimenting and keeping my interest in food in that way.

I don't have the time to go around to other blogs but I still try to do so.  I am so inspired, I don' by you, I don't want to miss those good dishes.  I have taken a realistic approach, do what I can do, and don't worry about it.  It seems to be working.

Onto business:
The Nine Days (days of mourning) are upon us (the Jewish people) and many of us do not meat during this time except on the Sabbath.  I was fortunate with the groups' choices this week, Spinach and Ricotta Pies, Pacific Rim Salmon Burgers and Soup with Pasta for Thirty Minute Pasta.  Nothing has meat and makes life a lot easier for me.

Menu Plan Monday

Sunday - Fruit and Nut Salad 

Monday - Eggplant Parmesan (I try to get this in weekly - it is yummy)

Tuesday - Spinach and Ricotta Pies - Donna Hay

Wednesday - Pacific Rim Salmon Burgers - Ellie Krieger

Thursday - Soup with Peas and Noodles

Friday - Breaded Chicken, Roasted Potatoes and Onions, 

Saturday - Chulent

Linked to:     Treasure Box Tuesday    Hearth and Soul Hop     Tuesday’s Table            Fat Tuesday          Weekend Potluck        What'd You Do  This Weekend             Whimsy Wednesday             Waste Not Want Not Wednesday             Creative Munster       Full Plate Thursday

Comments

  1. Chaya,
    Thank you for sharing about your husband. Although many of us only know each other in blog world, we begin to feel like friends non the less. Now it is your turn to inspire me -with your unwavering spiritual belief and insightful understanding ( I don't have to understand everything; I do have to accept it.) It certainly is a difficult time for you and your family. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    I am so glad that you find comfort and therapy in your cooking and that Shabbos gives you the opportunity !

    ReplyDelete
  2. God will see him thru. Keep believing, prayer is the key
    new post : http://melodyjacob1.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your story about your husband. My fiancé has a neurological disorder (the doctors still haven't been able to diagnose him) which makes it difficult for him to walk, and causes him to be in constant pain. It's difficult to watch the one you love be in pain. I have so much respect for you and the strength you show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know our thoughts and prayers are with you all there, Chaya. It is with such sadness that I think of all you are going through right now and please don't stress over group things or commenting on our posts, etc. We will be more than happy to know that your absences from any of that is due to your deep commitment there and being needed in other ways. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are sad with you and we understand that things change in our lives sometimes. Kayte is right. Please do not stress over trying to comment on our blogs. Do what you need to do and find comfort knowing others care. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Chaya, I am sorry to hear this news! I cannot imagine how hard this is for you, your husband and your family. I am so glad that you have a strong family round you all to help support you and please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers as well. Like you, I firmly believe that God holds us all in his hands but I am sorry for what you and your family are going through. Please reach out to the blogging community when you feel able to but as Kayte says don't stress about group things or commenting. I look forward to seeing you when you are able to be present and will think of you and send prayers when you are not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my Chaya, my heart is heavy for you and your family, but what an example of courage you are showing all of us. I know that God has you in His arms and will be there on your journey. Thank you so much for sharing with us, you and your family will be in my prayers.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chaya, thank you for sharing with us, and please don't feel the need to apologize for not commenting as much! It's good to hear you have groups of people that are encouraging you to also take care of yourself and that you can find joy in cooking and family support. All the best, Danielle

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost