Muffin Mondays


I refuse to make any commitments on my blog but I will share what I would like to do.  You may wonder why, I would not make a commitment that is not particularly earth-shaking and where the consequences would be minimal.


Like all stories, it goes back to my childhood.   I was always in the second tier which, in reality was pretty good.  Academically, I was just fine but I was not on the honor roll.  Sports, I was a champ in ping pong......need I say more?  Music, I had the opportunity to play in Carnegie Hall but I didn't.  I had lots of friends, friends I could have been proud of but I never thought of that, then or now.  If I really think about it, they were not the most popular girls but they were the most liked.


I worked on the literary extra curricular activities, the Year Book and the newspaper where I had my own column and wrote many other articles.  Gee, I wrote a play in third grade and the teacher wanted it presented.  (Note the wanted it presented with no follow-up.)


I always did well but was not the top or the best.  Did I want to be?  I don't remember ever coveting those spots and thought, I was happy being who or is that whom, I was?  (second rate in grammar)  


Before I bore you with this, my point is, that when becoming an adult, I had the need to run my own world, to determine what was going to happen.  When I got married, I had plans and for a while, life was what I planned.  It was like planning made it happen.  For years, I felt this control and then the day came when I knew, it was not real and I was at the hands of a much Bigger Authority. Since, I realized, life has become more challenging.


Now that I know, I am not in charge, I don't make promises or commitments.  I am not saying, I don't keep any.  I do but I do so, without verbally stating the information.  So no promises about weekly muffins........


We are a family who enjoys muffins.  My husband asks for mini muffins so he can grab just a bite, as he passes the dish, piled with muffins.  I prefer a real sized muffin to take to work with me.  Either way, muffins have always been a treat that disappears quickly.  I do try to freeze half of them for another week but, I don't necessarily get there, in time.


I would like to bake a different kind of muffin, each week.  Since, I pretty much cooked salmon in different ways, weekly for over two years, the muffins should be easy to accomplish but only time will tell.


So here goes........ I am starting with a Apricot Almond Muffins called Big Beautiful Muffins in  the American Test Kitchen.  The Family Baking Book is filled with recipes that work and can be changed to fit your preferences.  They work and taste good, a winning combination.


Big Beautiful Muffins with Apricots and Almonds


 adapted from The America’s Test Kitchen Family Cookbook


 Ingredients:

3 cups gluten-free flour mixture (or all purpose)
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups Tofutti sour cream
2 large eggs
8 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup chopped almonds
1 1/2 cup diced apricots



I used a mold, I have that is bigger than regular muffins but not that much, as to call them cakes or even mini-cakes.


Method: 


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. 

Spray large, very large muffin tins with cooking oil spray.


Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. 


Whisk the Tofutti sour cream, eggs, oil and almond extract together in a medium bowl. 


Gently fold the sour cream-egg mixture into the flour mixture with a rubber spatula until just combined. 


Fold in nuts and apricots.


Use a quarter cup measuring cup and place batter in each of the cups.

Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out with just a few crumbs attached, 25 to 30 minutes.


Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then flip out onto a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes before serving. 

                                                                                                                                                            



Linked to Sweets for Saturday        Sweet Indulgences Sundays     Sweet Treats Thursdays      


CookbookSundays


Comments

  1. I know exactly what you mean! I have made commitments and have wished I never did. I can't say I never followed through or didn't finish any commitments I have made but I certainly don't do so as much anymore. Before I say yes, I have to totally think it through and make sure its something I can and really want to do! So, if you don't have muffin's here on a weekly basis -well at least you know I will understand. ;) I love apricots and almonds...I may have to try this one out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your reasoning makes perfect sense to me. If you can post a weekly muffin recipe that's wonderful and if not, well, there's always next week or the week after, right? :) These apricot almond muffins sound fantastic, love that flavor combination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum - apricots and almonds are such a great combination, and funnily enough I don't think I've ever had an apricot muffin. Look forward to seeing other muffins you come up with - whenever that might be.

    Thanks for sharing these at Cookbook Sundays.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of muffin Mondays! WHat a tasty way to kick off the week.

    This flavor combo sounds delicious! Almondy baked goods are a definite favorite of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the longest time I thought about doing a muffin event! They used to be one of my favorite things to bake. And eat. But, my family tired of them and began to groan when they saw the muffin pan out. Anywhoo - I love the combination in these! I have apricots to use up. Happy New Year! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look great and I am sure taste great too! I totally get the commitment thing too, it is easy to get board of things and hard for me when I "must" do something on a scheduled time frame. Anyway good luck with your Monday Muffins! I will be cheering you on! thanks for sharing at Mrs Foxs Sweet Party :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost