Cheddar Mashed Potatoes With Apples & Onions - Nigella





I am not going to say very much about this dish.  I hope the picture speaks for itself.  I am in love with this dish.  It is the ultimate of comfort food.  I won't tell you how much of this, I ate.  My lips are sealed.


This is for Forever Nigella  at  Maison Cupcake.  Add your Nigella recipes here.


Cheddar Mashed Potatoes With Apples & Onions - adapted from Nigella Lawson

Ingredients:

4 1/2 pound Yukon Gold potatoes
1/2 cup milk
1 cup grated mild Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup onions (sliced)
2 Granny smith Apples (chopped)
pepper
1/4 teaspoon Baco Bits




Method:

Peel the potatoes. Cut them in half, and drop them in a large saucepan of cold water.

Bring salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes and turn down the heat and simmer for 40 minutes.

Poke with a fork to check for doneness. Potatoes should feel right to be mashed.

In a medium skillet, in 1 tablespoon olive oil, add sliced onions and chopped apples, and saute until tender.

Drain the potatoes.  Pour the milk into the same still hot pan, and let the milk warm up.

Mash the potatoes in the pan with the milk. When it is mashed to your liking, heat on low until hot.

Add the grated cheese, beating well with a wooden spoon.


Season to taste; top with bacon bits, apples and onions and serve piping hot.

Linked to Five Dollar Dinner Challenge    Tuesday’s Tasty Tidbits   Your Recipe, My Kitchen   

Mop It Up Mondays Party    Cookbooks Sundays     Gluten Free Wednesdays   Forever Nigella


Hearth & Soul Hop

Comments

  1. MMMMM. That looks amazing! Love all the flavor combination!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! What serious comfort food! I love the combination of apples and onions, so putting that combo on top of potatoes with bacon bits - how can you beat that?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! Would never have thought of apples with mashed taters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, that looks incredibly tasty. Dunno if it's in my diet with the cheese, tho :-) I'll need to save that for when I'm granted permission to cook whatever I want.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look fantastic! I'm adding these to the menu in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have never thought of adding apples to mashed potatoes, but it sounds wonderful! Nigella knows her stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great recipe. I am your newest follower via GFC stop by for a follow back.

    Amy @ Pounds4Pennies

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is not an incarnation of mashed potatoes that I don't love - I totally have to try this variation.

    Thanks so much for sharing it at Cookbook Sundays.

    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful twist on ordinary mashed potatoes - these sound delicious, Chaya! Thank you for sharing them with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost