Blueberry Cornmeal Pancakes

My favorite dinners are what usually pass for breakfasts, eggs, pancakes, French toast, muffins and coffee cake.  OK, I don't make coffee cake for dinner.

The other night was what I call, a tired night.  A tired night for me, usually means, it is a challenge to boil eggs.  All I want to do, is climb into bed and close my eyes, even just for a half an hour.  A tired night means, even if I get that nap in, I don't want to cook.  Cooking time has passed and I want to move on.  I could go without eating but hubby couldn't.  In all fairness to him, when I feel this way, he either offers to bring in dinner or to make pasta and cheese (this is not mac and cheese, as we know it).

I, get pleasure out of cooking for my husband so I try to avoid these situations.  Pancakes seem to be the easiest, other than eggs, to make quickly and quietly.  With pancakes, you can get away with the easiest recipe and put some fruit or syrup on top, and it is good.

As you can see by the title, I ended up making Blueberry Cornmeal Pancakes.  The cornmeal intrigued me, as it usually does.  Cornmeal in a recipe, other than in corn bread or corn muffins always puzzles me, until my first bite.  I think, it means savory but these pancakes were sweet, not savory.  The cornmeal adds a subtle crunch, very subtle.  I asked my hubby if he tasted anything unusual and he could not identify the cornmeal.  I will gladly make these again, possibly with something other than blueberries.  Blueberries are delicious but I like to experiment.  I have been thinking peaches.

Blueberry Cornmeal Pancakes (adapted Hadassah Everyday Cookbook)

Ingredients:


1/2 cup gluten free flour mixture (or all purpose)
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1/8 teaspoon cider vinegar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen thawed
Spray cooking oil


Method:


In a medium bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, baking soda and sugar.  Set aside.


In a large bowl, whisk together liquid ingredients including melted butter.  Pour dry mixture into the wet and stir just until incorporated.  (Over mixing will toughen the pancakes.)  Lumps, at this point are fine.


Coat a large skillet with cooking oil and heat.  Using a quarter cup measure or something of a similar size, ladle mixture into the pan and sprinkle a few blueberries on top of each.  (I mixed the blueberries gently into the batter.)
Toss frozen berries with one tablespoon of flour.


Cook until pancakes are speckled with bubbles.  Turn over and cook until the other side is lightly browned.


Serve with maple syrup and butter.  Jelly would be delicious also.



Comments

  1. I love your fish pancakes! They sound delicious, and the fish shape is just an added bonus! You always make me laugh, sorry you were so tired, though. I remember well falling into bed the last year I worked at school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We like pancakes for dinner too. Those look so tasty!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost