Apple Cake


For Rosh Ha Shana, it is traditional to make honey cake.  So, what did I do.  I made a date cake and an apple cake.  This was supposed to be an upside down cake and I followed the directions except that I divided the batter into two smaller pans.  I am not sure if that is the reason, my apples rose to the top.  As a result, I did not turn mine but it does look very much like the original version.

Below is the original recipe except, I am using gluten-free flour and I did not flip the cake.  

Apple Cake Adapted from The Kosher Baker, by Paula Shoyer

Ingredients:

Spray oil, for greasing pan

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon 

2 cups plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided 

2 cups gluten-free flour   mixture

5 large eggs 

1 cup  oil

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 

4 apples (McIntosh, Gala, Fuji, Golden Delicious) 

1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar


Method:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.Grease a 9 x 13-inch pan with spray oil.  (I used two smaller pans.)


In a small bowl, mix the cinnamon with 3 tablespoons of the sugar.( Sprinkle on the bottom of the prepared pan.  Since my bottom stayed a bottom, I sprinkled a little of this on the top after baking.)

In a large bowl, beat the flour, remaining 2 cups of sugar, eggs, oil, and vanilla with a stand or hand-held electric mixer on medium-high speed or by hand until well mixed. 

Peel and core the apples, halve them and then cut into ¼-inch-thick slices. Place the slices on top of the cinnamon and sugar in the pan in 3 long rows of overlapping slices. 

Pour the batter over the apples and spread evenly.

Bake for 1 hour, or until the top is browned and a skewer inserted comes out clean. 

Let cool for 30 minutes and then turn over onto a large serving platter or tray. 

Serve at room temperature.

Just before serving, sift the confectioners’ sugar over the top. The sugar will seep into the apples and heighten the taste.

Eat and enjoy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost