Broccoli, Leek and Apple Soup

I made this because the name of the soup sounded so "weird".  I have made creamy broccoli soup for many years but never thought of adding apple to the soup.  Apple has such a clean flavor to it, I decided that if it didn't improve it, it certainly wouldn't harm it.  I made it for the upcoming Jewish holidays and I have not tasted it yet.  I will have to get back to you with a report on what the apple does, if anything.  

Broccoli, Leek and Apple Soup (Adapted from Cookstr)

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 leeks (white and green parts) diced
2 Granny Smith apples
1 bunch broccoli, trimmed and cut into small dice (about 3  cups)

3  cups chicken or vegetable broth

2 potatoes, peeled and diced

Pinch of cayenne pepper

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Fresh chives, for garnish

Method:

Heat the oil in a large soup pot over low heat. 


Add the onion and leeks, cover, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. 

Peel and core 1 of the apples and cut into small dice. 

Add to the pan and cook, covered, for 10 minutes.



Add the broccoli and broth. 

Increase the heat to medium and bring to a boil.

Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. 

Add the potatoes, cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste. 

Cover and simmer until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 15 minutes. 

Remove from the heat and set aside to let cool.



Use hand blender and blend until smooth or slightly lumpy. 


Garnish with chives.

Comments

  1. This is a wonderful and interesting soup. I bet it is delicious. It certainly is healthy~ Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete

  2. Hi,
    I just hopped by from Hearth and Soul Blog Hop. What a wonderful recipe just in time for fall produce season! Can’t wait to try it. I love pureed soups like this. I just made a black bean puree today. All the best, Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting combination of ingredients.. Broccoli soup is one of my favorites. Looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious healthy rich soup, , thanks for sharing with hearth and Soul blog hop. pinning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the addition of the apple to the classic broccoli and leek combination - what a lovely way to enhance the flavours, Chaya! Thank you for sharing this delicious autumn soup with us at the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for bringing by both of your wonderful Fall warming soups to Weekend Bites.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds good to me! I love broccoli soup, and I agree that an apple probably won't hurt it. ;) Thanks for sharing it at Savoring Saturdays!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost