Apple Betty in Sweet Potato Crust

I am a sucker for new ideas and a sweet potato crust is a new idea. The question, I had, was could I put into it. I thought about a sweet dairy filling, maybe like a cheesecake. Then, I gave vegetables a thought but the vision of apples kept staring me in the face and I decided to go with it. I think, it was a good choice. I made an apple betty which is something like apple pie filling without the pie crust. I figured, this was just right for my experimental crust. It was.

Apple Betty in Sweet Potato Crust



Crust:

4 medium sweet potatoes (peeled, cooked and mashed)
1 large egg
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 teaspoon olive oil
(I bet a cup of flour would work with the above.)


Method:

Mix all ingredients.

Spray deep dish pie plate with non-stick cooking spray.

Form sweet potato as a crust into plate. Use your fingers to fit it to the shape of the pie plate.

Bake at 350 degrees for 15 min.

Remove from oven and put aside.

Filling:

5 large thinly sliced apples
1/4 cup orange juice
3/4 cup brown rice or all purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 pinch salt
1/4 cup Canola or Olive oil


Method:


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. 

Pile up sliced apples in the sweet potato crust. Sprinkle with orange juice.

In a medium bowl, mix the flour, sugar, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and salt. 

Add the oil and mix.

Sprinkle over the apples.

Bake for 45 minutes.

Eat and enjoy.

I was surprised and happy with the taste of this dish. I served it as a side dish as I would an apple kugel or a sweet potato dish. I thought a sweet potato crust might not go over well as a dessert. It did work out as a side dish and I think, it would be just wonderful as a dessert.


linked to Full Plate Thursday    Showcase Your Talent Thursday        Lovely Link Part      Showcase Your Talent Thursday      Lovely Link Party       Full Plate      Thursday Life of the Party    Thursday Favorite Things      Home Sweet Home      Thank Goodness It’s Thursday

Fight Back Fridays      Gluten-Free Fridays       Foodie Friday       Weekend Social Link PartFoodtastic Weekend              Foodie Friends Friday                  Foodie Friday at Rattlebridge Farm               Freedom Fridays                      Fabulously Creative Fridays                  Feathered Nest Friday                      Weekend Retreat      Eat Create Party      
  Weekend Bloggy Reading  

Comments

  1. Never heard of sweet potato crust. Sounds super healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Sweet Potato Crust, that sounds so good with the Apple Betty! Hope you are having a great day and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for coming and linking up at #The Weekend Social. Please be sure to come back next week starting Thursdays at 9PM EST on KitchenDreaming.com ! I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) I can't wait to see what you share this week! Its LIVE!

    Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost