Caramelized Squash


It feels like, I just put in last month's recipe for Ina Friday& here it is the first Friday of the month, once again.  I am certainly thankful for the time we are given but it appears to be moving too quickly for me.  

I measure my school year, which is just starting, as most of us are aware of, by the Jewish holidays.  First the Jewish New Year, Rosh HaShana, (September), the Chanukah (December), then Purim (March) followed by Passover in April and finally Shevuos in May.  I plan out major projects around these holidays.  The funny part is how quickly they come upon us.  It is a good measure of what  we are accomplishing or not accomplishing.

Up to Rosh HaShana and the holidays that come on it heels, it is Review time as well as time to get to know my class.  With so many days with school closed, we are limited  in starting significant new material.

This means that the first major written project is due before Chanukah and this follows throughout the year.  I always make the deadline about two weeks before the celebration so I have time to grade the papers and then enjoy myself.

The shock is when Passover is upon us which means the year is not far from the end.  Then, bang, summer has arrived.  Well now, bang summer is over and while it is sad, it is more exciting to walk into a new class with a new curriculum.  I am just plain happy.

Back to Ina Fridays which is focused on Soups, Sides, or Salads, this month. Are you aware that Alyce, the founder of our group, has a new cookbook out,  
It has lovely recipes with some incredible choice of seasonings.

I love most squash. To think, only a few years ago, I had not eaten squash, at least to the best, I can remember. What a wonderful vegetable, not to have had.

I had the butternut squash, in the house and had to come up with a recipe. This one caught my eye because of the caramelization.

I have made something similar with a combination of sweet potatoes and butternut squash. It was fantastic which was an impetus to try this one.

Carmelized Butternut Squash Adapted from The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook

Ingredients:

1 large butternut squash
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Method:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Cut off and discard the ends of each butternut squash. Peel the squash, cut them in half lengthwise, and remove the seeds. Cut the squash into 1 1/4 to 1 1/2-inch cubes and place them on a baking sheet.

Add the melted butter, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. With clean hands, toss all the ingredients together and spread in a single layer on the baking sheet.

Roast for 45 to 55 minutes, until the squash is tender and the glaze begins to caramelize. While roasting, turn the squash a few times with a spatula, to be sure it browns evenly. Taste for seasonings and serve hot.

This was as popular, as I thought it would be.


Linked to:  Real Food Recipe Round Up      Clever Chicks Blog Hop    Saturday Night Fever
See Ya at the Gumbo 

Powered by Linky Tools
Click here

Comments

  1. Butternut squash is so perfect for all; this one is lovely, Chaya. (And thanks for the book plug:)
    Happy Ina Fridays and I'll wish you a Good Shabbos early.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this recipe! It's a favorite around here and yours looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caramelized butternut! So full of buttery, sweet flavors. Love thus soup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even the title of the recipe sounds good!
    Thank you for sharing, Chaya.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost