Creamy Spinach



As a child, I adored creamed spinach and as a child, my hubby deplored creamed spinach.  Over the years, I rarely make the dish for obvious reasons.  When I was planning one of my meals, I had a few particular vegetables to use up.  One was two containers of fresh baby spinach.  I was determined to make use of it and I reverted to the once beloved Creamed Spinach.  I have been checking Joy Bauer for almost all of my recipes.  I keep getting winners so why not take advantage of this good situation. 

 I am posting the recipes that I find online as well as in the book.  I think, it is unfair to print many recipes from a chef's book.  I would guess it is against the copyright law but I have not looked it up.  Once the recipe goes online, then unless it says differently, I would hope that using it online with credit given to the website would be appropriate.

This recipe calls for garlic and normally, I eliminate garlic from all recipes, so hubby can eat it but this time, knowing his aversion to the dish, I put tons of garlic in (OK, I am exaggerating.

Even with the Tofutti cream cheese, this turned out creamy and tasty....yummy garlic.


Creamy Spinach (adapted from Joy Bauer)



Ingredients:



1 medium shallot, sliced

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

2 ten-ounce boxes frozen chopped spinach
3 ounces low-fat cream cheese (I subbed in Tofutti cream cheese since I was serving this with chicken.  I bet that it would be even creamier with dairy cream cheese.)

1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt

Method:



Coat a large sauté pan with oil spray. 

Sauté shallot over medium heat for 5 minutes. 

Add the garlic and red pepper flakes. 

Sauté for 1 minute. 

Then add the spinach, a few handfuls at a time, and sauté until wilted, about 3 to 5 minutes. 

Add cream cheese and stir until melted through.

 Season the spinach with salt, and cook 3-4 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated

Eat and enjoy.

Linked to See Ya at the Gumbo     Real Food Recipe Round Up        Sweet and Savory Sundays 
                Treasure Box Tuesday    Hearth and Soul Hop     Tuesday’s Table       Simple Supper           Fat Tuesday   

Comments

  1. My husband loves creamed spinach. Your version sounds delicious. I love the addition of lots of garlic, Chaya! Thank you for being a part of the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love spinach, creamed spinach, and loads of garlic. Sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost