Cheesy Cornbread - Martha




I made this quite a while ago and set it up to be blogged.  Unfortunately, I don't remember the details of making it.  I know I used gluten free flour but I do think, I followed this pretty much to the letter.  The addition of cheese to cornbread is yummy and a real treat.  I do have to make this again, soon and if I find any changes, I will have to get back to you.  This is a bread I could manage to devour on a regular basis.

You see how crumbly, this is, in the photo and I am doubting, if you made this with regular AP flour, you would have so many crumbs.  I find, in general, my cakes are more crumbly than the ones, I used to make with AP flour.

Do check out the cheesy cornbread, I made, from Mark Bittman.  I made it my own by adding broccoli and shallots and that was another winning quick bread.

Cheesy Cornbread   adapted from Martha Stewart

Ingredients:

1 cup gluten-free baking mixture, (spooned and leveled)

1 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal

3 tablespoons sugar

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
2 large eggs
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
1 tablespoon butter

Method:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. 

In a large bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking soda, salt, and pepper; make a well in center of flour mixture. 

Add buttermilk and eggs to well, and whisk to loosen eggs. 

Gently incorporate dry ingredients, then mix in cheese.



Place butter in a 9-inch cast-iron skillet; bake until butter is melted. Remove from oven, and tilt to coat bottom and sides.



Pour batter into prepared skillet; bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. 

Let cornbread cool in skillet at least 15 minutes before cutting. 

Serve warm or at room temperature.  We prefer it warm or even hot.


Eat and enjoy.

Linked to:  Foodie Friday        Foodie Friends Friday        The Weekend Social    Weekend Social Link     Full Plate Thursday    :  Saturday Night Fever


Comments

  1. Love cheese in my cornbread. Your recipe looks great! Thanks for sharing on Weekend Bites

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost