Thursday, July 24, 2014

My Failure - My Success


This week, WWDH made Yorkshire puddings.  This recipe can be found in of Modern Classics I on page 120.  I was excited about making these because this would be something new for me.  Unfortunately, I ended up with flat burnt hockey pucks.  I don't know if it was because of the gluten-free flour or the use of oil in place of lard.  All I know is that they went straight into the garbage.



Fortunately, I only made 6 of these so I had batter left and I decided to use it on eggplant, mushrooms and onions.  It worked beautifully for all three but particularly for the eggplant.  

Ingredients:

1 egg
5 ounces of milk
1/2 cup gluten-free flour
pinch of salt
olive oil
----
1/2 cup salsa
1 few tablespoons Parmesan

Method:

Heat oven to 375 degrees.

Mix all ingredients except oil together.

Heat oil in large skillet.  I used an electric skillet.

Peel and slice eggplant, about one half of an inch thick.

Dip slices into flour-egg mixture and make sure it is completely coated.

Put pieces into oil and quickly fry each side so that batter sticks.  Drain and place in a baking pan.

Place in oven and bake for 20 - 25 minutes until eggplant is cooked through.

Serve with salsa and Parmesan cheese.




I did the same with the onions and mushrooms after slicing them.  I quickly fried them and added them to the baking pan with the eggplant.  This made a delicious meal.

Linked to: Full Plate Thursday     Gluten-Free Fridays      The Weekend Social     Foodie Friday      Real Food recipe Round Up

4 comments:

  1. The final results looks good. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to make yorkshire pudding, but have always been afraid, I guess for good reason. The eggplant looks terrific. Thanks for sharing your failure and success with us on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Yorkshire pudding batter was a cinch to make. Wish I had thought to do this with some veggies. Good idea

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks yummy! Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.