Thursday, July 3, 2014

Mashed Potatoes and Parsnips

It is potato month at Thumbs Up.  Please look at the bottom of this post for information.

Not that long ago, I used parsnips in my chicken soup and no where else.  I could not imagine parsnips having a value of their own.  Of course, I really had not tasted parsnip.  In the soup, it had melded with other wonderful vegetables and of course, chicken.

One day, I came across roasted vegetables with parsnips included.  I figured, I had nothing to lose with all those vegetables that I knew would be good.  That is when I discovered that parsnips have a life of their own.  Now when I see parsnips in a recipe I want to make it immediately.

I have made this particular recipe before but I don't remember posting it and it is as simple as can be and has a subtle taste.  If you like mashed potatoes, I think you will like this dish.

Mashed Potatoes and Parsnips

Ingredients:


2 pounds parsnips
4 pounds russet potatoes 

salt
1/4 cup chives
1/2 cup sour cream
About 1/2 teaspoon white pepper


Method:

 Peel parsnips, halve lengthwise and cut into 2-in. pieces. Put in a large pot. 

Peel potatoes, cut into 2-in. pieces, and add to the pot. 

Cover vegetables with cold water and bring to a boil. Add 1 tbsp. salt. 

Cook until vegetables are tender when pierced by a fork, about 10 minutes. Drain well.
Meanwhile, chop chives. 

Mash potatoes and parsnips with a potato masher. 

Stir in chives  and sour cream, and 1/2 tsp. white pepper. Add more salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.

Eat and enjoy!


This post is linked to the event Little Thumbs Up (July 2014 Event: Potato) - organised by Zoe (Bake for Happy Kids) and Mui Mui (My Little Favourite DIY) and hosted by Jasline (Foodie Baker)"
1abbb-th_littlethumbups1-1
Ingredient for July - POTATO

Linked to:      Foodie Friday    Freedom Fridays     Real Food Friday    Fight Back Friday          The Yuck Stops Here       Best of the Weekend     Real Food Weekly Roundup     Fat Tuesday

9 comments:

  1. Hi Chaya!
    It took me a long time to learn the value of parsnips. Now, I just love them too. Parsnip soup is delicious and I've even seen a recipe for Parsnip Cake. Almost the same as carrot cake!

    Your mashed potatoes and parsnips sounds yummy. I must remember to buy parsnips more often and save some for the mashed potatoes!

    Thanks for sharing, Chaya...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chaya! I've not tried parsnip before, I usually mash carrots with potatoes, will definitely try out the parsnip + potato combination one day! Thank you for linking up with Little Thumbs Up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chaya - it sounds like a great mashed potato variation. Thank you for sharing on Foodie Friday

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never used parsnips in anything! My daughter is a mashed potato fanatic, so the next time I see parsnips in the store I will have to buy a couple of pounds to give this recipe a try. Thanks so much for joining us this week on The Yuck Stops Here recipe link party. I can't wait to see what you bring next week! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chaya,

    Seeing your delicious mash, I'm feeling shameful that I have not been cooking much with parsnip :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought to mix parsnips and carrots in a cream sauce. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great combination, Chaya, this looks like a great recipe! Hope you have a great week and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've mixed celery root but not parsnips with potatoes. Sound like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.