Corn Cakes - Donna Hay



I am impressed at the number of books, Donna Hay, has written. I have been reading two of her books with great pleasure.  I have been putting stickies on the recipes I like and I found a number that sound like something for our table.

For my first recipe (not my first Donna Hay recipe), I chose a simple corn cake from Modern Classic, Book 1. The book has many photos and they are plated nicely and feel comfortable. Some books beautify their dishes and the surrounding area so, it feels like it doesn't belong in my house. Her food is often on a plain white background and stands out beautifully, simple in design.

I was interested in these corn cakes because they have Cheddar cheese in them. I usually make mine without any dairy products. It also has bacon which I can't use because I am kosher. I substituted some olive oil to cook the corn cakes in.

I did not like, the set-up of the recipe, since the flour and baking powder were separated by several ingredients and I ended up, missing it completely.

Corn Cakes (adapted)



Ingredients:



1 /2 cups corn

1 small onion, diced

1 cup gluten-free flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs
1/2 cup low fat milk
1 cup grated Cheddar
1 teaspoon parsley
pinch of sea salt
olive oil, as you need it

Method:

If using frozen corn, microwave for 2 minutes on high.

In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and fry onions for 5 minutes.

Mix flour, baking powder, eggs, milk, cheese, salt and parsley in a bowl.

Process corn slightly. The recipe called for everything going through a food processor but I could see no reason. I wanted chunky corn so even that was processed for a very short while (30 seconds at the most.)

Add onions to the flour mixture and rough cut corn. Give it another stir.

Using an ice cream scoop, drop into hot skillet with additional olive oil. The recipe said to cook 3 minutes on each side but mine cooked more quickly.

Drain, keep warm and serve when all cakes are cooked.


Comments

  1. I really need to get at least one Donna Hay cookbook for my library, Chaya. Everyone seems to enjoy her recipes. I wouldn't mind having a few of these corn cakes right now!!! Thanks for sharing, Chaya...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Donna Hays recipes. These corn cakes look marvelous, Chaya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost