Spaghetti Frittata

Spaghetti Fritata (adapted from Ellie Krieger)


I only have kudos for Ellie, each and every time, I cook her recipes.  This time is no different.  I omitted the sauce and it was still delicious.  I, first had this posted on Chaya's Comfy Cook,


The egg puffed up nicely and the spinach and roasted peppers added the right flavor to the frittata.    I grew up on a dish, noodles and eggs, which is similar to this so  spaghetti in a frittata felt just right.  This is real comfort food although, if I had put the sauce in, I would not have called it, comfort food.  Food with tomato sauce does not fall into that category, as much as I like different sauces, using tomato, as a base.


Fortunately, I had bought a big bunch of fresh spinach and ended up, using it in a few dishes.  I also bought a lot of cilantro and threw that in every dish. 
           
                                                                                                                                        
 I did add some black pepper but I would vote for cayenne, next time.  I am developing, a real liking for it.
As a post-script, never having liked a lot of spice in my food, I bought a pepper cheese, the other day.  I took a bite and I felt that burn.  I was taken by surprise.  After the first bite, I was ready for it and I really enjoyed it.  I want to put that cheese in an omelet, just not for hubby.
Spaghetti Frittata So Easy – Ellie Krieger, page 100

5 large eggs (I used 3)
5 large egg whites (I used 2)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, sliced thinly into half moons
5 cups baby spinach leaves (I used 2 – 3 cups)
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not oil-packed), reconstituted in boiling water for 10 minutes, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups cooked gluten-free spaghetti
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Method:

In a medium bowl, separate 2 of the egg whites, discarding the yolks. Add the remaining 3 whole eggs to the bowl with the whites and whisk to combine. Set aside.

I did not have a pan to put in the oven, so I fried it, very slowly.

 Heat the oil in large oven-proof, nonstick skillet over a medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, salt and pepper and cook until the spinach is wilted, about 1 minute. Add the pasta to the pan and stir to combine.

Pour the eggs evenly over the pasta and vegetables. Lower the heat to medium-low and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until eggs are set on the edges but not in the middle. Sprinkle the top of the fritata with cheese and cook another 3 minutes.

Serve in wedges.       $5 Dinner Challenge    Hearth and Soul     Real Food Wednesdays     Pennywise Platter Thursday

Comments

  1. I love fritata, this version sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sound of this, Chaya. The flavours you have used are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost