Muffin Mondays - Corn Pudding Muffins


Brette Sember of Martha and Me recently wrote a book, called the Muffin Tin Cookbook.  It contains 200 recipes for minis.  Knowing how I love making miniature anything, you can imagine how fast I jumped, to review this book.

It is filled with recipes, you would not imagine being made in a muffin tin but sure enough, they work beautifully.  So far, I have made a few and look forward to making more.  On my list of "to makes" is Savory Cheesecakes, Sloppy Joe Cupcakes, Turkey Cranberry Cups, Savory Noodle Kugel,  Mini Ice Cream Cakes and Ravioli Lasagna.  Those are for starters.  Getting hungry?

I decided to make two for the Sabbath, Corn Pudding and Savory Carrot "cakes".  We liked both of these and now, I would like to try a sweet carrot cake recipe, as well.

The corn pudding and I became best friends, after one bite, and I wished I had made more of them.  Although, I made a minor change or two, I am going to share Brette's original recipe with you.  I did not have canned creamed corn so I used frozen corn and added a tablespoon of "cream" to the recipe.  I also did not make mine dairy and used substitutes for the milk and cream.

Corn Pudding in Muffin Tins  Adapted from The Muffin Tin Cookbook  (9 corn puddings)

Ingredients:


1 8.5 ounce canned corn pudding
1 egg
2/3 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup flour ( I used gluten-free)
1 tablespoon melted unsalted butter
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/8 teaspoon chopped red bell pepper  (I used about 1/4 of a cup)
1/2 shallot chopped


Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and prepare 9 regular muffins cup with silicone liners. (I don't have silicone liners so I sprayed my muffin cups.)
Whisk all ingredients together well and divide among cups.
Place in 1/2 inch hot water in a roasting pan and set the muffin.
Bake for 1 hour, or until custard is completely set.


These were tasty and went quickly.  Everyone at the table liked them.  That translates to success.


As far as the book goes:
I liked that the nutritional analysis was located, on the same place, for each page.  I am all for easy to use methods.
Brette gave some hints, at the beginning of the book, that helped me, right away.
The recipes are divided by subject, in the contents, and again made the book, easy to use.
The variety of recipes was plentiful and it is easy to make a list for the future with so many enticing recipes.

I would have liked photos with the recipes, rather than in the middle of the book.  I am a visual cook and do better when I see what I am aiming for.

This is my savory carrot cake, below.

Tea Party Tuesdays                    Gluten Free Wednesdays      
Totally Tasty Tuesdays (Mandy's Recipe Box),
 Talent Show Tuesday (Chef in Training), 
Trick or Treat Tuesday (Inside BruCrew Life), 

Comments

  1. Oh these look delicious! I have yet to bake savory muffins, I should give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made corn muffins, but I bet corn pudding muffins are richer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I'm making these for my nieces this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks very delicious! Would love to try this for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like the perfect thing to make ahead and reheat individually. They look really good! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost