Bake with Bizzy - Sables by Dorie



Dorie can make me try new recipes.  I, usually reach some success with her recipes.  Over the years in Tuesdays with Dorie,  I expanded my horizons and although I am not a baker who has mastered pretty, my baked goods taste great.  If you are a fan of shortbread, I think you will like these buttery delights.

Sables    Baking with Dorie, from my Home to Yours.  

2 sticks {8 ounces} unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. confectioners' sugar, sifted
1/2 tsp. salt, preferably fine sea salt
2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
2 c. flour  (gluten-free, in my case)
decorating {coarse} sugar (used yellow and green)

Working with a stand mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the butter at medium speed until smooth and very creamy. Add the sugars and salt and beat until well blended, about 1 minute. The mixture should be smooth and velvety, not fluffy and airy. Reduce the mixer speed to low and beat in the eggs yolks, again beating until the mixture is homogeneous.

Turn off the mixer. Pour in the flour, drape a kitchen towel over he stand mixer to protect yourself from flying flour and pulse the mixer at low speed 5 times, a second or tow each time. Take a peek- if there is still a lot of lour on the surface of the dough, pulse a couple more times: if not remove the towel. Continuing at low speed, mix for about 0 seconds more, just until the flour disappears into the dough and the dough looks uni formally moist. If most of the flour is incorporated, but you've;e still got some in the bottom of the bowl, use a rubber spatula to work the rest of the flour into the dough.} The dough will not clean the sides of the bowl, nor will it come together in a ball-and it shouldn't. You want to work the dough as little as possible. What you're aiming for is a soft,moist,clumpy{rather than smooth} dough. Pinch it, and it will feel a little like Play-Dough.

Scrape the dough out onto a smooth work surface, gather it into a ball and divide it in half. Shape each piece into a smooth log about 9 inches long: it's easiest to work on a piece of plastic wrap and use the plastic to help form the log. Wrap the logs well and refrigerate them for at least 3 hours, preferably longer.{ The dough can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 2 months.}

Getting ready to bake:

Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.

Remove a log of dough from the refrigerator, unwrap it and place it o a piece of parchment paper or wax paper. Whisk the egg yolk until smooth, and brush some of the yolk all over the sides of the dough-this is the glue-then sprinkle the entire surface of the log with decorating sugar.

Trim the ends of the roll if they're ragged, and slice the log into 1/3 inch thick cookies. {You can make these as thick as 1/2 inch or as thin as-bit no thinner- than 1/4 inch." Place the rounds on the baking sheets, leaving an inch of space between them.

Bake one sheet at a time for 17 to 20 minutes, rotating the baking sheet at the midway point. When properly baked, the cookies will be light brown on the bottom, lightly golden around the edges and pale on the top: they may feel tender when you touch the top gently,a nd that's fine. Remove from the oven and let the cookies rest a minute or two before carefully lifting them onto a rack with a wide metal spatula to cool to room temperature.

Repeat with the remaining log of dough, making sure the baking sheets are cool before the second batch.

This recipe can be found on page 131 of Baking with Dorie, from my Home to Yours.  

Time to look back on last week's fabulous contributions and that word, fabulous, absolutely does fit.

 
Above is from My Sweet and Savory and is a delicious Roasted Tomato Omelet

 
As you can see, this is from the Rickett Chronicles and it is called Scooter's Spaghetti and is from our recent spaghetti challenge.  It sounds delicious.
 
Baked Mozzarella Sticks  from Aunt Nubby's Kitchen.  Each week, she shares a noteworthy recipe with us and I want to thank her.

 
This was love at first sight, Purple Sweet Potato Cake with Streusel from No Frills Recipes, a new favorite blog, for me.
There are many sweet treats that should be here, as well but I got so carried away with My Meatless Mondays, I put a cap on this group.

Your turn.  When, I write this, each week, I fill up with joy.  I am touched that you choose to link up here.  Bake with Bizzy means a lot to me and I enjoy each and every contribution.

Comments

  1. Hi Bizzy
    We loooooooooove shortbread cookies, and I actually make different kinds of them all the time.
    I'm familiar with this recipe and it's good one!
    I prefer though to make shortbread dough with my food-possessor instead of the mixer. The way to do it a bit different but I find it easier.

    Thank for hosting this party, and I hope you have a wonderful rest-of-the-week
    Winnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made those sables as well! Yours turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those little cookies sound buttery and delicious! Thank you so much for featuring the mozzarella sticks. This week I shared a Pineapple Pie. Thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for hosting! Those cookies sound good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love shortbread and have always wanted to try one of Dorie's! As usual, tons of other bakes too! Thanks for the reminder! Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really should use my Dorie book more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too love shortbread cookies. These look mighty tasty, ca't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Chaya,
    Just linked a bun post! Thank you for hosting, have a lovely Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost