Putting Corn Dish Together

In my plight to use up everything, I must get rid of, I end up with some good recipes, quite unexpectedly.  That is what happened today when I found myself staring at a bag of frozen corn with about a cup of corn in it.  What was I going to do with just a cup of corn?

The answer was obvious - build on it until I would have enough for a serving dish, a small one, though.  Adding was easy because it was based on what was available in my kitchen.  There was a partially cut red pepper, on my counter so I chopped about a one inch slice into tiny pieces and threw that in with the corn.  Also, sitting on my counter, forlorn and alone was half a small onion which was chopped and added to the corn.  You guessed it, there was also a half of a zucchini that graced this dish.

Looking at my counter again, a bottle of balsamic vinegar sat there with about 1/4 of an inch of  liquid.  Throw it in.  Better add some sugar to modify the flavor of the vinegar.  I tasted it and I must have put in too much sugar and had to find something to change the taste.  Hmm, soy sauce should do it.  Soy sauce is good with anything and it did the trick, once again.  Top with chopped dill.

That is how we built a corn dish.

I will do my best to re-create this but just throw it all together and it will, most likely, be just fine.

Corn-Zucchini Surprise


Ingredients:


1 cup defrosted corn kernels
1 piece of red pepper, chopped small
1/2 zucchini, chopped
1/2 small onion, diced
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons soy sauce


Method:
In a medium sized pot, mix all ingredients together and heat .  You could caramelize the onion first, if you choose.


The zucchini does not to be cooked well for eating but if you want everything cooked, I would microwave this for about 2 minutes, tops.


Whatever is done, this was a good surprise which we like, really like.


Linked to Sweet and Simple Sunday

Comments

  1. Waste not, huh! Great food and healthy too from your leftovers. Have a good weekend:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I have one cup of corn I usually throw it in cornbread. This is a great alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bizzy,

    zuuzs is hosting a Spring Recipe Challenge and I'd like to invite you to join! It's a great opportunity for you to promote your blog and showcase your recipe in front of thousands of people. Plus, there's prizes including a $500 Gift Card for the Grand Prize and three $200 Gift Cards as the top Category prizes you can use to buy kitchen related wares.

    Please visit this post full contest details and how you can participate: http://www.simplystacie.net/2012/03/calling-all-cooks-join-the-zuuzs-grand-spring-recipe-challenge/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a awesome way to use leftovers. Thanks for sharing!

    Mrs. Delightful
    www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost