Puff Pastry Pal Joins up with Wonton Warrior

Wonton Warrior has invaded my house filled with passion and ambition.  Time to use up any leftover wonton wrappers, egg roll wrappers and puff pastry.  Along with him, was a new "friend", Puffed Pastry Pal.


If you remember Wonton Warrior, from the past, you know, he is capable of doing amazing things with those little wrappers, filling them with all kinds of goodies, both sweet and savory.  He started bossing me around, immediately, trying to find, what we have to use up.  I am ashamed to admit how much, I discovered.  


First, we raided the refrigerator and found 3 packages of cream cheese and 1 sour cream beside some Edam, Muenster and Mozzarella.  I didn't have to guess, to know what I would be cooking......something with cheese.


Wonton Warrior has this nasty habit of wanting to throw away perfectly good food and I had to keep slapping his hand, not to have my good food found, in the garbage pail.  So, there is only one pickle left.  Someone will eat it.  Oh, it has been there for two months??????  He didn't like my leftovers, either but they are so good.  What would I nosh on without leftovers?


I am proud to say, no mold, peeked from anywhere.  Don't tell the warrior, I cleaned the refrigerator, last week.  Wait, until he gets to the freezer.  That needs to be done.  What is he going to find?


This should make for an exciting week and some good eating.  Let's see how I began and hope Wonton Warrior will know his place and stay away from this blog.




Farmer's Breakfast Tart  (adapted from Pepperidge Farm)

Ingredients:

1/2 of a puff pastry strip
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup finely shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (about 1 ounce)
1 cup peeled and shredded  yellow potato
Ground black pepper
1 egg
1/4 cup chopped scallions


Method:

Heat the oven to 400°F.

Unfold the pastry sheet onto a baking sheet. Cut into squares.

Using a sharp knife, score a 1 1/2-inch border around the edge of the squares. Prick the center of the pastry sheets thoroughly with a fork.

Stir the sour cream, cheese and potato in a medium bowl. 
Add scallions and the black pepper. Spread the potato mixture on the pastry sheet to the border. 

Bake for 15 minutes.   Remove from oven.

 Crack 1 egg into the center of each square of the potato mixture.

Bake for 10 minutes or until the eggs are softly set. Sprinkle with additional cheese, if you like.

I had packed too much of the potato mixture and my egg slipped off and cooked on the side.  It still tasted good but it was a lot nicer looking, sitting in the center of the pastry.

Comments

  1. I have a heck of a time using up puff pastry too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a heck of a time using up puff pastry too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a heck of a time using up puff pastry too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm! I never keep puff pastry in the house because I am the worst baker ever...but this is a good reason to start buying some. Nice refrigerator raid!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for linking up!
    I always end up with a sheet of puff pastry leftover from something or other. Would be a sad thing to let them go to waste.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look awesome! Found you through Real Food Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost