Orange Butternut Squash Cubes



It used to be, the organized me, knew exactly what I was making for our Shabbat meals (Sabbath).  Each Friday, as I stagger into the kitchen, not quite awake, an alarm goes off, "Warning, warning, you don't know what to make."


I impress myself (forgive me for the pat on the back) with how I pull a meal together.  It goes something like this.  "OK, you need fish, soup, chicken at least two sides, salads and desserts.  Now, GO!"


At full speed, I whiz around the kitchen, "Aha, a squash, rice or quinoa, tomatoes, salmon, frozen soup.......and from this plus, I will make a meal."


This is what the squash was transformed to and I highly recommend it.


Orange Butternut Squash Cubes


Ingredients:


1 medium butternut squash
1/2 cup orange juice
orange peel from one orange
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
spray cooking oil


Method:


Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.


Place whole squash on plate in microwave and cook for 4 minutes or until, it is possible to insert knife into a firm squash.


Remove and cut squash into half.  Remove pits and cube the meat of the squash.


Place it back into microwave and cook until it is firm but edible.


In a small bowl, mix orange juice,  orange peel, maple syrup, black pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Pour over cubes in a baking dish or casserole.


Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes or until tender.


Go on over to Di's Kitchen Notebook to see what the rest of the foodies did for Citrus Sunday.

Linked to Citrus Sunday      Frugal Food Thursday    See Ya in the Gumbo     Pennywise Platter Thursday

Comments

  1. Neat idea--I never would have thought to pair orange with butternut squash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delectable! Miss butternut squash...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting combination! I never would have thought of combining these two. I'll have to pick up a butternut squash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am certainly a fan of butternut squash!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The orange and maple syrup sounds delicious paired with the squash
    Holy Cannoli Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely side dish and a great idea for a flavor combination!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoy eating butternut squash, but I usually just roast it with some olive oil, salt and pepper and I have made butternut squash soup which I also like. This looks like a wonderful side dish and the orange and maple syrup must give it just the right sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the sound of this and need more butternut squash recipes. Thanks! And thanks for linking up too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost