Egbert The Egg Roll Guy Joins In

It is getting crowded, in my house, with Wonton Warrior, Puff Pastry Pal and now, Egbert The Egg Roll Guy.  I have run out of bedrooms for them to sleep in.  You do know how "bizzy", I am and who has time to clean up after these three?

Wonton Warrior is into everything.  He has no favorites.  He pulls out the sausage as quickly as he empties the chocolates.  He loves savory and sweet and yes, even sour.  He will go from a deli roll to a chocolate marshmallow treat.  Give him any food and he wraps it up with wontons.  The mess he leaves........groan.

Puff Pastry Pal is worse.  He leaves crumbs wherever he goes.  Take out his creations from the oven and immediately, everything is covered with little bits of the pastry.  Out comes the broom but it is Bizzy who cleans up.  I have to give it to PPP, though.  Last night, he made this unbelievable Peanut Butter Concoction - little cups filled with three layers of goodness.

Now, joining us is Egbert, the Egg Roll guy.  Egbert seems a bit unusual.  When I looked in, today, he was cooking one real American dish and one Mexican dish, both in egg rolls.  What is he thinking?  Would you like to see something Egbert made?  Let me check with Bizzy and see if I can reveal one of his creations.

Mexican Egg Rolls (compliments of Egbert and Bizzy) (inspired by Annie Eats)

The beauty of wrappers is that they know no boundaries.  We may think of egg rolls as Oriental but take that egg roll wrapper and see what you can do.  These have a Mexican flair to them.  Serve them with salsa for a real treat.

Ingredients:

1 cups frozen corn, thawed
1 cups frozen spinach, rinsed and drained (I put the spinach in a towel and squeeze to get out the water.)
1 cup mashed potatoes
1 onion, chopped
1 cups shredded Cheddar (I used white Cheddar)
an outside slice of the spicy mozzarella - where all the hot stuff is (Otherwise use spices such as chili, cumin, cayenne pepper.)
12 egg roll wrappers
1 egg, beaten, mixed with 1 teaspoon of water for egg wash

Method:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Put wrapper to the side.

Combine all other ingredients in a medium bowl.  Mix them to blend.

With brush, cover the outside 1/4 inch of the square with egg wash.  It helps the pieces stay together.

Put about two tablespoons filling on the wrapper and then go here for easy and good directions how to fold them up, properly.  I found out, I did it incorrectly, after the fact.  Watching this, I see how much nicer they look when rolled correctly.

Lightly grease a cookie sheet with cooking spray.  Place sealed egg rolls on the sheet, seam side down.  Spray the tops of egg rolls with spray.

Bake until light brown -15 minutes.  Turn once.

Serve with salsa.  I didn't have but I can imagine how much better these would be with the extra flavor.

Linked to  Show Me What You Got      $5 Dinner Challenge    Tea Party Tuesdays     Hearth and Soul      Totally Tasty Tuesdays (Mandy's Recipe Box),    Talent Show Tuesday (Chef in Training), 

Comments

  1. What a clever idea to incorporate Mexican flavors into these, Chaya. They sound SO good. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words. I visited you today and it makes my day brighter, each time I look at your photos.

      Delete
  2. I do love the beauty of these wrappers, so versatile! And of course don't forget Phyllo Phil!

    I will try this scrumptious filling for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a package of phyllo dough. If I can find time, I will try to introduce Phyllo Phil. Thanks for naming him.

      Delete
  3. Picking up a package of phyllo dough tomorrow for these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your house may be full, but it certainly sounds delicious

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha ha.. nice post and clever recipe... Quite a twist !

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post really made me smile, and I love the sound of those Mexican Egg Rolls. They have such lovely fresh ingredients and the spices song wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all the flavors you packed into the egg rolls!! Absolutely delish!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost