Breakfast Loaf

We are baking loaves for a really interesting event - Handmade loaves (a seasonal blogging event).  This is the brainchild of Di's Kitchen Notebook.  You still have time to get in your loaf, in the next few days.   There will also be a Virtual Cookie Exchange in December.

I had loads of plans for unusual loaves but the Jewish holidays took precedence and I did not have time to fool around with recipes. This Breakfast bread sounds like a good one to share. If you would like a change of pace, turn the meal into quick bread. Breakfast Loaf - (adapted from Quick Cooking – 2003)

Breakfast Loaf

Ingredients:

 6 eggs
 3/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon spicy mustard
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
4 ounces Monterrey Jack cheese, sliced in slivers
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1/4 large red onion, chopped
6 cherry tomatoes, cut into halves

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Spray a 8inch loaf pan with Canola oil.

Saute, onions and red bell pepper in a  medium skillet, until onion is translucent.

In a medium mixing bowl, beat eggs well. Add milk and mustard to eggs.

Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and thoroughly mix together.

Add tomatoes, red pepper and onions. Blend together. Stir in cheddar cheese and Monterrey Jack cheese.

Transfer to prepared loaf pan. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 55 minutes or until golden brown.

Check with a sharp knife for doneness.  Knife should come out dry.

Cool for fifteen minutes. Run a knife around outside of loaf. Remove loaf from pan. Slice and serve warm. Eat in pure delight.  Cream cheese or butter is good on this bread but it stands alone as breakfast, if that is your preference.

Now, I am getting ready to bake cookies for the December event but eat them all up now.


Linked - Grocery Cart Challenge         Veggie Converter         Savory Sunday         My Meatless Mondays
Confessions of a Stay At Home Mommy Tuesday’s Tasty Tidbits   Traditional Tuesdays Logo
Traditional Tuesdays

Comments

  1. Neat idea for a savory quick bread! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great idea because I could save slices and heat them up later in the week when I'm in a rush!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks good. I've never seen a recipe like this so I am anxious to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been here in awhile... did you change your name? and your total look? wow so many changes around here... and I love it1
    I wish I could have this bread with all these bits of goodness with my coffee this morning. What a wonderful start of the week it would be.
    Happy Monday!
    Malou

    ReplyDelete
  5. The breakfast loaf is making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious! Lots of flavor! As always, thanks for linking up with me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks different than any breakfast casserole that I have made. I must try it! Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost