Kneidlach - Matzah Balls

I think the term, matzah balls or matzo balls is better known than kneidlach but they are one and the same and they are good.  Some people like them soft and others like them hard.  I believe the majority favors the soft but not me.  I pack in the matzah meal to make sure they are hard.  This time, in respect to our company, I added some seltzer which makes them lighter.  I still managed to taste a little (actually 3 whole ones).  These could be a weakness, so easily.

I serve these in homemade chicken soup and that makes a wonderful combination.  I could eat them plain, just as well.

Kneidlach  (recipe comes from matzah meal package) (I tripled the recipe)


Ingredients:

1 cup matzah meal
4 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup water   (I added 1/4 cup seltzer and cut the water to 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup Oil
salt and pepper to taste

Method:

In a large bowl mix the matzah meal, eggs, water, seltzer, oil, salt and pepper.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
Heat large pot of salted water and bring to a boil over medium-high flame. Reduce heat to medium-low so and allow to simmer.
Form the matzah dough into balls about an inch in size.   Feel free to make them bigger.
Drop the balls one-by-one into the water and simmer for 25 minutes.
Using a slotted spoon, remove the matzah balls from the water.
Serve in hot in chicken soup.   You can cook these right in the soup but they absorb a lot of the liquid.  They, also absorb, the wonderful flavor of the soup.  Your choice.

Tasty Tuesdays                Tuesdays At the Table                 Tasty Tuesdays               Made From Scratch Tuesday             Tuesday                  Tasty Tidbits                  Tuesday To Do List               Tuesday Time Out Inspiration Party                     Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays                  Tuesday Confessional                       Topsy Turvy Tuesday                      Recipe Roundup                           Gluten Free on a Budget           Tuesday Talent Show at Chef in Training                             Tuesday Time Out                         Take a Look Tuesday                  Hearth and Soul Hop

Comments

  1. I LOVE matzo balls...and if I trust anyone for a good recipe, it's you! These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had the nerve to make Jewish dishes. I think I'm scarred from that scene in Sex & the City where it took Charlotte all afternoon to get four matzah balls the right size!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, those look delicious and I've always wondered how to make them. I love the idea of adding to chicken soup so they absorb the flavors while cooking...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been eating my mother's Matzo ball soup forever, but just made my own for the first time last year. One really could get addicted to the matzo balls you are right! Yours look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Matzoball soup. Like you I tend to like mine a little firm, but still light. I do always cook mine right in the chicken soup but make sure I have plenty of extra broth to add.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness I love matzoh balls! I could eat them just like this or in some plain broth. Irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome Matzon balls recipe dear,Yummlicious click.luv to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I have eaten a lot of chicken and dumpling soup but never Matzo ball soup. Is it similar in taste? I doesn't sound like the texture is the same at all....but that would be a good thing. I must try them. I would cook them in the soup too....just to get the good flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks so much for linking up to Tasty Tuesday! can't wait to see what you'll bring this week. http://nap-timecreations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost