Mini Corn Dogs Using Ellie Krieger Corn Bread

One of my favorite sites is Mother Rimmy's Cooking Light Done Right.  This is a place to get low calorie and healthy recipes which are delicious, yummy and scrumptious.  If you have not visited there, I suggest you check it out and I am betting, you will return.

Mini Corn Dogs (adapted from Cooking Light, Done Right)

Ingredients:

1 cup cornbread mix (I used an Ellie Krieger recipe which I will include beneath this recipe.)
2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 large egg white
½ cup Rice milk
2 hot dogs, cut into 12 pieces
    Method:

    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
    Combine cornbread mix, 2 tablespoons onion, chili powder, egg white and Rice milk in a bowl. Mix until smooth.
    Spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray and spoon cornbread mix into the muffin cups. Press one piece of hot dog into the middle of each cup. Bake for 10 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
    I served this as a side dish.

    I made these particularly for my grandchildren. This is my idea of a fun food.

    Ellie Krieger Corn Bread
     Ellie's recipe is called Corn Bread with Sweet Corn Kernels.  My family does not like corn in their muffins so I left them out of the recipe.  My preference is to add that corn.

    Ingredients:

    nonstick cooking spray
    1 cup gluten-free flour mix
    1 cup yellow corn meal
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 egg
    1 egg white
    1 1/4 cups low fat buttermilk or Rice milk with 1 1/4 teaspoons vinegar
    3 tablespoons honey
    3 tablespoons canola oil

    Method:

    Move the oven rack to the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
    Lightly spray a 9x5 loaf pan (Of course, I did not do this.  I kept the batter for the mini muffin tins)
    In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
    In another large bowl, whisk egg, egg white, buttermilk, honey and oil.
    Add liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients,  Mix to combine.

    Pour in prepared pan (in this case - the mini muffin pans)  (Follow recipe above.)

    Comments

    1. Thank you so much for trying these and for Ellie's recipe. My daughter-in-law has to eat gluten free, so I'll be sure and pass this along to her. Have a good week. :)

      ReplyDelete
    2. corn bread looks lovely I haven't made like this

      ReplyDelete
    3. delicious looking corn bread I haven't had like this

      ReplyDelete
    4. Very fun and easy way to make corn dogs. I ate my first ever corn dog only 3 weeks ago and it was, well... interesting, but I'm not really a hot dog lover. I'll bet though that these would appeal to my Maisie. Also, thanks for reading along on Moments with Maisie and I'm glad that you're enjoying the blog.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Looks wonderful! My kids do not like corn in their muffins too, but I do! Thanks for sharing!

      ReplyDelete
    6. This looks delicious!I tried making muffins with corn meal once and failed miserably:P

      ReplyDelete
    7. Love this! Please visit my blog for an award. <3 and Hugs! http://www.recipesformyboys.com/2011/10/versatile-award.html

      ReplyDelete
    8. Hi!

      I am giving your blog the Liebster Blog Award.
      Read about it here:
      http://juliejewels.blogspot.com/2011/10/lifes-wonderful-moments-liebster-blog.html

      ReplyDelete
    9. Yummy! My daughter loves corn dogs but needs them to be gluten free. I will pass this on to her. Your blog has a new look. I had to do a double take. I like it.

      ReplyDelete
    10. Yummy...Love this recipe..I must try...:)) Officially following ya..Great blog :)) Would LOVE for you to share this at my Pin'Inspirational Thursday linky party if you dont mind pweeease :))-- TY,, http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/10/pininspirational-thursdays-linky-party_26.html
      Ps: hope u can join in Project Pink This weekend - blogs going pink for cure..(breast cancer awareness/hope for cure, over 50+ blogspots are in, hope u can join in, more info on my blog..TY)

      ReplyDelete
    11. This is so fun! I think I like this idea better than regular corn dogs. Thanks for linking up!

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment

    Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

    Popular posts from this blog

    Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

    Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

    Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost