Curried Butternut Squash and Apple Soup/Half Time

Ina's Garden
Sunday was a fast day and I completely forgot to make something to break the fast with.  Although, I had nothing to eat nor drink, all day, I was busy preparing for the school week and I never felt hungry.

Suddenly, the sky darkened and I panicked.  I knew, leftovers sat in the kitchen and the worse scenario would be to eat them.  Usually, we eat dairy or soup after a fast and I decided, Superwoman was being called upon and she came through.

I had a butternut squash in the refrigerator.  Whisked it out and cleaned it and as quick as a wink, I "roasted" it, in my microwave.  It took about ten minutes.   While it was "roasting", I cut up the onions and put them in a pan with and olive oil.  Then, I pretty much followed directions, up until the part about simmering it.  No simmering for us and it was fine.  I did cut out the water to keep the flavor.  I suggest following Ina's directions unless you too, are racing against time.

We always eat something light and then if we are hungry, we eat later.  This filled us up though.  My husband had more than one bowl but I was fine with one.  I love this soup and this is one, I would make over and over.

Butternut Squash and Apple Soup  
adapted from Ina Garten, Barefoot Contessa Parties!,
Ingredients:

1 Butternut squash 
3 Green apples - peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped 
8 ounces (1 cup) vegetable  broth
Water - 1 1/2 cups
2 teaspoons brown sugar
 Onion - medium, chopped
 Dried rosemary - 1/4 teaspoon, crushed
 Dried marjoram - 1/4 teaspoon, crushed
Ground pepper - 1/8 teaspoon
 ¼ cup coconut milk or rice milk
 Method:
1. Peel and cut the squash into cubes.  Microwave for 6   minutes or as long as it takes to almost cook through.
2. In a saucepan combine and boil together the squash, apples, vegetable broth, water, onion, salt, rosemary, marjoram, brown sugar and pepper.
3. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered and cook for about 20 minutes.
4. Turn one-half of the soup mixture into a blender container.
5. Cover and blend till smooth; set aside.
6. Leave the remaining soup chunky unless you love smooth soups.  Then, you can blend all the soup in small quantities.
7. Return all the soup mixture to the saucepan and bring it to boil.
8. Reduce heat to simmering and stir in coconut milk
.

Considering how I cut back on the cooking, it is amazing how good this soup is.  It is nice to know, we can make this kind of change and still have deliciousness.

This is for Ina's Garden which is featuring Fall Family Food.  There are so many wonderful recipes in Ina's books and online, this should be a slam dunk for  all of you to find something and hopefully join us.  We appreciate your participation.

From now on, we will be having a link once a month for any Ina recipe, you would like to link up.  After discussing this, we thought the link would me more user friendly, if we left the choice up to you.
This is linked to ;Simply Sweet Home Friday’s Favorites   Food Trip Friday         Fat Camp Friday  Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap   Sunday Night Soup
   



Comments

  1. Looks great! I love that you can see the bits. My version was pureed so it looked eerily similar to baby food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds gorgeous,so comforting and delicious. What a perfect soup for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bizzy, Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe with Cookbook Sunday @ Moms Sunday Cafe. Hope to see you again in November!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried the butternut squash/apple combo in a soup, but it sounds like a winner! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe with Sunday Night Soup Night. I'll be hosting weekly through fall and winter, so I'd love to see you again with your next soup/stock/chowder recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost