Pear - Pecan Bread SRC

Time for another opportunity to cook in the Secret Recipe Club.  This was the brain child of Amanda from Amanda's Cookin' and as I am sure you have seen, it has taken off like wildfire, presently with 4 different large groups.

My recipe came from Cupcake Muffin.  I have been to Sara's blog a number of times before receiving her blog  to find my secret recipe.  She has a variety of recipes and they are just right for me.  This is such a good match.  I decided to check out a number of recipes so I could take a good look at what she is doing.  A number of times, I picked my recipe but talked myself into looking further.  When I got to this bread, I knew it was right.  After making a number of apple dishes, I was ready for pears and hubby loves pecans.  A match made in Heaven....   Thanks Sara.

Pear-Pecan Spice Bread (adapted from The Kitchen Sink Recipes, original recipe here) (the only change I made was to make my gluten-free.)

Makes 1 loaf   

1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour  gluten-free flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted 
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1 egg white
1 cup sugar
1 cup peeled, grated very, very ripe pear 
1 teaspoon pure vanilla
1 cup peeled, diced pear
Note: You'll need 2-3 large pears for the grated and diced pear combined.

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a loaf pan with oil.
2. Whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and cardamom.  Add the pecans and toss to combine.
3. In another large bowl, whisk together the oil, buttermilk, egg, egg white, sugar, grated pear, and vanilla.  Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.  Fold in the diced pears, again until just combined.
4. Scrape the batter into the oiled pan and bake for about 1 hour, until a tester comes out clean.

I liked this a lot and hubby praised it to the sky.  We owe Sara for this yummy quick bread.

Looking forward to next month.  Join in the fun.

Comments

  1. The Secret Recipe Club sure sounds like fun, Chaya. And, your Pear-Pecan Spice Bread sounds absolutely awesome. Nice addition to add the chopped pear.

    Lots of goodies to check out, oh YUM!!!

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like this bread would be packed with flavor with the cinnamon and cardamom. I like that the pear appears two ways--grated to get flavor throughout and diced to get larger bites here and there. Nice seasonal pick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pear and pecan sounds like a great flavor combo. Looks wonderful too.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Levain Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you liked the pear bread! This is also one of my favorites...totally perfect for fall! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been asked to teach a class on gluten free baking, im going to try your recipe out! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving the combination of pears and pecans, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh pear pecan bread?! Sounds like an amazing combo! I've never had pear bread!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds yummy! waiting to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Si, Good luck with the recipe and the class. Please let me know how it goes.

    Sara, I am glad you made this or I never would have.

    Thanks to everyone for your comments. Yes, fruit and nuts are a winning combination and I think this would be good with apples and almonds or probably almost any fruit and nut.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the spices in this bread. In combination with the pears, it sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This bread looks so comforting, great flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a great combo of ingredients, it may get me beyond pumpkin and banana!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pears and pecans are a wonderful fall combination. Nice choice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks awesome, perfect and delicious bread :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost