I got my ingredients out, was creaming the sugar and oil (instead of butter) and my husband said, he did not want apples. OK, I am flexible but this cake called for 3 cups of diced apples. I did some scurrying. I added a cup of ground walnuts and upped the chopped nuts to a cup. I added another tablespoon of oil and then I hoped for the best.
I am sure the results are no thing like the apple cake, Taste of Home aimed for but I have to tell you, it is delicious. It is like toffee, nice and chewy in the inside.
I am sharing with you the correct recipe for this apple-nut cake.
Apple Nut Cake
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups diced peeled apples
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts
- Whipped cream or ice cream
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat
- in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon
- and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture (batter will be very thick). Stir
- in the apples, nuts.
- Spread into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for
- 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes
- out with just a few crumbs. Serve warm or cold with whipped cream or
- ice cream. Yield: 9 servings.