Baking Gals

"Baking GALS (GALS stands for Give A Little Support) is a group of volunteer bakers from around the country who bake and ship homemade goodies to our heroic military men and women who are currently deployed in a war zone. Our goal is to show our support and send a little bit of home to remind them that we appreciate all that they do for our freedom."


It is another month and I am baking once again through the group, Baking Gals.  This is not a big deal to do, but I can only  hope, it makes a difference to those receiving my cookies.  In selecting cookies, I look for quick, easy and delicious recipes.  QED means, I can bake more quickly and since I do this in a limited time frame, that is important. 

The recipes, we send should be good to eat but those that are not going to melt if they end up in a hot area.  As a result, I leave out frosting or decorations.  I do include chips in the cookies as well as nuts and dried fruit, depending on the recipe.  This recipe is an easy sugar cookie which turned out to be a chewy delight.  It surprised me.

I usually make new recipes when I bake for the military.  It gives me the opportunity to add recipes for the future, particularly for my grandchildren and my students. Since, I do not know their preferences, I attempt to put in a variety although one time, when I looked at the box, I was sending, I saw more than half were chocolate and another time, I was heavy on the Snickerdoodles.

For anyone who wants to literally throw something together quickly, this is the recipe.  You can ice these or add sprinkles on top.

Sugar Cookies

Ingredients
  • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup margarine, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

            Method:

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls, and place onto ungreased cookie sheets.   I used my teaspoon cookie scoop.
  3. Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.               

My cookies took eight minutes.

Gallery of Favorites
Button



Photobucket




Comments

  1. What a great program! I'm sure whomever receives these cookies will be very grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe has comes in perfect timing for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great thing to do! You are awesome :) I love reading your blog and I am passing on the Liebster Blog Award to you! Visit my link to see what to do and how to pass it on! :)http://littlemommybigappetite.blogspot.com/2011/10/sharing-love-liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely thing to do! That is such a great programme. I like your sugar cookie recipe and your cookies look delicious! Thank you for sharing this post with the Gallery of Favorites.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost