Vanilla Butternut Soup


 

 When I first made this, I was in a rush and looked around the kitchen, happy to see a small butternut squash on the counter.  The beauty of soup is that you can throw some good ingredients together and quickly have something delicious.  That is what I did.

Just as I found the squash, a look in the refrigerator, showed me the yogurt and applesauce.  The cupboard hosted the vanilla and honey and I almost always have a drawer full of onions.  Lining these up on the counter, I knew this was going to be a good soup.

This kind of soup is why I love my immersion blender.  It came with a mini food processor and was a new item for me.  I was not sure, I would find use for it but it has become a necessity along with my mandolin and bench scraper.  I pull these out almost daily and they make working in the kitchen, much more enjoyable.

Vanilla Butternut Soup

Ingredients :

1 small butternut squash, mashed

1 small onion, chopped

2 teaspoons olive oil

1 tablespoon honey

1 cup milk (I used low-fat)

2/3 cup vanilla yogurt

1 cup apple sauce (unsweetened)

Method:

In microwave, cook butternut squash until it is cooked completely. It took 10 minutes on my microwave but I am sure, it will vary, with different microwaves. Of course, you can bake it, in the regular oven, if you prefer.

In 3 quart saucepan, heat olive oil and add chopped onions. Cook onions on a low flame until translucent. When onions are cooked, add honey and mix it in. Keep a very low flame on.

Remove squash from skin. This small squash had almost no seeds. Do remove the seeds with a spoon. Mash squash in a medium-large bowl. Mix in the remaining ingredients.

Add squash mixture to pot with onions and heat thoroughly for about 15 minutes. Use an immersion blender to make soup smooth. If the soup is too thick, add some more milk and heat a little while longer.

Swirl some yogurt on top of each bowl of soup.

 Now, if I can figure out the rest of menu, I am in good shape.

Comments

  1. Chaya, this looks like a nice light soup. And what a beautiful color. So creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely soup! Using applesauce is just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost