Potato Knishes

As a Brooklyn girl, I grew up on knishes, especially potato knishes. We knew hole in the wall places that had the very best knishes. What, I never have had, is a knish made with an egg roll wrapper as the dough, at least I don’t think, I have. I bumped into this recipe. It comes from vision works……huh? I decided to make it, despite its dubious origins.

POTATO-KNISHES  (adapted)

Yield: 14 knishes

3 large potatoes, boiled and mashed
1/4 cup plus spray cooking oil
2 chopped scallions
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
7 egg roll wrappers (6-inch squares)

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the mashed potatoes with 1/2 cup of olive oil, scallions and pepper.  

3. Place an egg roll wrapper diagonally on a large cutting board or plate, so it appears diamond-shaped. Place 2 tablespoons of the potato mixture in the center. Fold the top and bottom corners over the filling to meet in the middle, then fold the right and left corners to meet in the middle. Pick up the knish and place it in the palm of both hands as if it were a ball and gently squeeze to make it round in shape. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.  (As you can see, I left mine flat and folded over but I thought you should know the way the recipe did it.)

4. Arrange the knishes on an ungreased baking sheet, and brush the tops with the remaining oil. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

5. Arrange the knishes in a platter and serve plain or with your favorite dipping sauce.
Adapted from Leslie Cerier’s cookbook, Going Wild in the Kitchen (2005, Square One Publishers)


Comments

  1. It is amazing how many countries have dishes that are similar. I just made samosas and they are only different in the spices. I will have to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strudel knishes!!! Last time I eat apple strudel was at the Jewish Museum Buenos Aires, knishe strudel, very original.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost