Meatball Vegetable Soup


My husband has his moments when he is not subtle and today was one of them.  Emails and phone calls all mentioned that this is the season for soup, nice hot soup.  When he called before dinner and I told him, I was having leftovers, his comment was, "Have I told you how good soup is in this weather?"  Yes, he certainly had.

What I did not tell him was that bubbling, on the stove, was a pot of rich delicious vegetable soup with spicy meatballs.  (not very spicy since that is not to his liking)  Needless to say, I had a happy husband enter the kitchen tonight.

This is my magic soup.  Feel free to substitute your favorite veggies, add beans, quinoa, rice, sweet potato, you name it.

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
Meatballs, cooked in the freezer (you can use browned chopped meat or make you favorite meatball recipe - making a small sized ball - about a pound )
1 large onion, chopped
2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped (small pieces - about 1/4 of an inch)
2 carrots, peeled and chopped (same size)
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 cups vegetable broth
1 can diced tomatoes
2 cups water
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon basil

Method:

Cook onions in heated oil until translucent.  Add celery and cook for another minute.

Add liquids, water, soup, and diced tomatoes.  Add brown sugar and if you like black pepper, add that too.  I meant to and forgot.

Add vegetables, potatoes and carrots.  Cook until they are cooked thoroughly (not mushy), about 15 - 20 minutes.  For the last ten minutes add the basil.

If you are not in a hurry, simmer for another hour.  If you are hungry, the soup will be fine.

Comments

  1. It's a lovely soup !! Not for me (I'm a vegetarian) but my husband would LOVE it
    It's definitely his kind of soup

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost