Vegetable Salad with Lime Dressing - Rick Bayless


Kudos to Louise who hosts our annual picnic which has the best food in Foodie Land.  Louise has an amazing blog, Months of Edible Creations , one of the most interesting ones around.  If you ever have time to be fascinated, hop over there and read about some of the special days and more important, the special foods that are highlighted, each day.  Pick up tidbits, tales and recipes and most important, fun and enjoyment.


My gratitude to Louise for this picnic that you are all invited to, with or without a recipe.  Come and eat our food.  I hope you enjoy this salad from Rick Bayless.




This salad calls for a little more prep work than other salads, I make.  It has tons of vegetables and could be eaten as a main dish although, I served it with grilled chicken from Ellie Krieger.

Vegetable Salad with Lime Dressing     Serves 6   Adapted from Rick Bayless

I advise doing some of the prep work in advance.  There is a lot of chopping and slicing and if you do it, the day before, this will not be time consuming.

The amount of each vegetable is variable.  I used what I had, in the house, and divided it up, according to how much I had.  I would leave out the potatoes, next time, and I would add more beets.

Ingredients:  (I am putting stars next to the vegetables, I used.  I want to leave the other choices for you to decide from.

About 2 cups (total) of any or all of the following
*Carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally 1/8 inch thick
*Small boiling potatoes like the red-skinned ones, sliced 1/8 inch thick
*Beets, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick

About 2 cups (total) of any or all of the following
*Green beans, ends snipped and cut in half
Peas, fresh or (defrosted) frozen

About 2 cups (total) of any or all of the following
*Radishes, stem-and root-ends removed, slices paper-thin
*Cucumbers, peeled, seeded (if desired) and sliced 1/8 inch thick
*Tomatoes, cored and chopped

Dressing:
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Garnish:
Spinach to cover platter bottom(1 1/2 cups)
1 hard-boiled egg, sliced or riced or diced :)
3 thin slice of red onion, broken into rings

Method:
1. Microwave potatoes, carrots and beets until cooked.  Cook beets in a separate dish to avoid red potatoes.

2. The dressing. A few minutes before serving, whisk together dressing ingredients.  Add to vegetables except sliced radishes, cucumbers and red onion slices.


3. Garnish and presentation.  Line plate with spinach.  In the middle, pour vegetables with dressing.  Surround it with sliced vegetables.  Top with riced hard boiled egg.



I had put aside a smidge of dressing which I drizzled on top.


I’m going on a picnic and we are bringing:
A - Artichokes Steamed and Dressed with Mayonnaise
B - Baked Beans
C - Cauliflower Tabbouleh
D - Dunkin' Donuts
E - Eggplant Casserole
F - Frosty Summber Salad with Cranberry, Pineapple and Beets
G -Goat Cheese Mixed green Salad with Cocoa Nibs
H - Halibut and Salsa Verde
I - Iced Coffee Two Ways
J - Jubilee Sandwich
K - Key Lime and Ambarella Juice
L - Limoncello Biscotti
M - Mini Meringue Kisses
N - Nougat Brownies
O - Ozark Pudding
P - Paletas de Chabacano y Manzanilla
Q - Quinoa Salad
R
S - Strawberry and Kiwi Chocolate Tart
T - Thai Fish Cakes in Pita Pockets
U - Udon Salad with Honey Sesame Lime Dressing


V - Vegetable Salad with Lime Dressing - Rick Bayless

Linked to Friday Favorites                Mix it Up Monday              Inspire me Monday                    My Meatless Mondays           Jam’s Corner

Comments

  1. Oh yum! I made these two weeks ago, and I would not mind having it again! Great pick for a picnic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely and fresh salad with so many different vegetables! Perfect for a picnic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delicious and fresh salad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to join you for this meal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chaya,

    WOW now that's what I call one tasty looking salad, I will definitely be looking forward to sharing some at the Picnic. The combination of flavors and textures are simply amazing. Kudos to YOU!!!

    Thank you so much for your kind words. The Picnic Game is a wonderful way for us to share our online friendship and it truly wouldn't be any fun if everyone didn't join in to "play." Thank you Chaya:) "See" you at the Picnic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This salad looks colorful and refreshing. Got to grab some at the picnic. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love salads that can work as a main dish--especially for summer. Thanks for bringing this to the picnic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks good! I think something like this would taste great with the addition of Feta.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost