Sweet Parsnips and Carrots


I have discovered the parsnip and I am using it in a dozen different ways.  Parsnips go into my chicken soup but that has been the extent of my use of them.
When I saw this recipe in the Rachel Ray magazine, I decided, with trepidation, to make this.  Actually, the recipe was for a puree but I made it more like mashed potatoes.


Sweet Parsnips and Carrots

Ingredients:

1 pound carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
1 pound parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
1 turnip, sliced
1/4 red pepper, chopped
3 slices (1/4 inch thick) peeled fresh ginger
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil
chives
Method:

In a large saucepan, combine the carrots, parsnips, turnip, ginger & brown sugar. Add enough water to cover by 2 inches and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes

Drain the vegetables. Add the olive oil and mash everything together. Place in a serving dish and top with the chives.

This makes a nice side dish.  We were surprised at how good parsnips taste when they dominate the dish.


Linked to Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays    Gluten Free Wednesdays  Real Food Wednesdays   Cast Party Wednesdays    Allergy Free Wednesdays    Pennywise Platters      Frugal Food Thursday

Comments

  1. Thanks for your reply. I realise that your link is closed and will link with you the next time you are organizing a Bizzy Bakes link. How often are you organizing this link?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rarely use parsnips, so this is a great way for me to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband loves parsnips so we have them often, besides most of the parsnips we find around here are from my home town :) I loke finding new ways to use them though thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love parsnip too but I really don't use it often enough. Thanks for the inspiration, it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been trying to explore deeper into root vegetables myself lately. This looks like a great recipe! Thanks for sharing it at last week's Allergy-Free Wednesdays. Hope to see you again this week.
    ~AFW Hostesses

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost