Spaghetti with Cabbage and Corn Chip Crumbs


What would you do with a half of package of spaghetti, a half a package of cole slaw mix and just too many corn chip crumbs?  I have cooked different kinds of cabbage and noodles for years and so far, we have liked the resulting dishes.  Today, I found a recipe here from Martha Stewart.  It certainly fits the bill, almost........  I have no cream in the house so I subbed in sour cream which I am sure will work.  Rather than Savoy cabbage, I had this partial bag of cole slaw mix so I get a few carrots into this recipes, which is definitely a plus.  No way, was I using 5 tablespoons of butter but 3 tablespoons of olive oil goes nicely.  Other than that, the recipe pretty much flowed.


I realize that cabbage is a debated vegetable.  Some love it and some hate it.  I think, it is the prep that makes the difference.  It is hard for me, to understand, not enjoying stuffed cabbage, such a strengthening dish.  Also, a wonderful dish is a cabbage and noodle dish with brown sugar and lots of black pepper. Yummy.


I hope, we all give cabbage a chance-------just don't ask me to give asparagus, a chance.   :)      Not fair, I know.



* As I typed the recipe in, I see I did something differently. I did not see the second pan. I just made it more clear in the recipe instuctions. I added the cabbage and pasta to the bread crumbs and cooked it all together. To make up for the mistake, I will top it with come additional crumbs and Parmesan.

Spaghetti with Cabbage and Corn Chip Crumbs

Ingredients:

8 ounces gluten-free spaghetti
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 cup ground corn chips
2 - 3 cups shredded cole slaw mix
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons sour cream
1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese 

salt and pepper

Method:

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. 

Cook pasta until al dente, according to package directions. 
Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in corn chip crumbs. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. 
Cook, stirring, until breadcrumbs are golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes.

Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in another skillet over medium-high heat. Add cabbage, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss to coat. 

Cook, stirring, until slightly wilted, 3 to 4 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water. Cook, covered, until tender, about 4 minutes. 

Uncover, and let any water in the skillet evaporate. Stir in sour cream. Cook until sauce is reduced and thick enough to coat cabbage, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.

Add pasta and reserved 1/2 cup cooking liquid to cabbage. Cook for 1 minute. 
Stir in cheese. Transfer to a platter or casserole. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over top, and garnish with more cheese.



Linked to  Inspire Me Monday       Katherine Martinelli

Comments

  1. You are so clever, Chaya. I would NEVER have thought to combine these ingredients, but now that you've done it, it sounds perfectly sensible and delicious. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am inviting you to participate in my Show Your Stuff link party:

    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/05/show-your-stuff-22.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pasta with corn chip crumbs? Sounds delicious and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I've ever had a noodle cabbage dish

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost