Curried Rice Pilaf

I like making rice pilaf because they are easy to make, yet maintain a delicious flavor.  I usually cook mine in a broth but the alternative is to spice up the rice, in the pan and cook in water.  This recipe can be changed around, easily.  You could select any dried fruit, cranberries, apricots, apples or the nuts can be varied, pistachios, pecans, cashews, pine nuts.


The option of fresh fruit is open, also, but should cooks with the rice for at least 15 minutes.  Add a little cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice.  If you like heat, chili powder or chili peppers should make a difference.  I put Mexican chili which I have been adding to some dishes and that works well.


I like the almonds and raisins so I stayed with them.

Ingredients :

1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
3 cups organic low-salt vegetable broth
1 cup broccoli florets
1/4 cup sliced yellow pepper
1/2 cup sliced red pepper
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup chopped almonds, toasted


Method:

In a large skillet, saute 1/4 cup onions and garlic in butter until tender.



Stir in rice and curry powder. Saute for 2-3 minutes or until rice is lightly browned.

In a saucepan, heat broth and salt. Pour over rice mixture; stir. Cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until rice is tender. 



In a separate pan, saute broccoli and bell pepper for 5 minutes and add to the rice mixture.

Remove from the heat; stir in raisins, almonds and additional green onions.



Cast Party Wednesday         Allergy Free Wednesdays         See Ya in the Gumbo      Gluten-free Wednesdays          Whatcha Whipped Up, Wednesday    Fit and Fabulous Friday    Friday Food   Simple Living    Grocery Cart Challenge

Comments

  1. I only ever ate pilaf rice once, cooked by my son, I should try to cook some for myself, yours looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have this for lunch today OMG!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds delicious, quite similar to our asian kind of stewed rice!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost