Hash Brown Cake


This may be a new badge to you as it was to me.  It is group with a great idea.  Each month they randomly select a letter and each individual picks a food that begins with the designated letter and bakes and shares the results.  It can be savory or sweet.

It is hosted hosted on alternate months by Ros from The More Than Occasional Baker and Caroline from Caroline Makes.

If you are interested, head over to one of the listed blogs and introduce yourself.  This sounds like lots of fun.  Join me.  On the first of the month, you can check out who has baked what.  This month, let's look for the H's.


I discovered them, not too long ago, and promptly forgot about the letter for this month, which is H.  When did I remember?  After work, today.  The deadline is the 25th which means, I could participate.  With the holiday coming, where is there time to make something for an event?  There isn't but I was not going to be beaten.

Dinner would be the solution although I had no ideas for an H dinner.  Baked hamburgers? Honey coated chicken?  Hazelnut torte?  Heavenly Hash.   Aha - hash.  I decided to make Hash Browns in the oven and then in the kitchen, I changed that to a Hash Brown Cake.  It reminded me of Potato Kugel but it was softer inside than the kugel.  The top was crispy and the interior was soft and delicious.

 Hash Brown Cake

Ingredients:

1 medium onion, cut into chunks
3 medium potatoes, peeled, and shredded (I used a food processor.)
1/2 cup whipped cream cheese or block cream cheese, slightly softened
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 red pepper, diced
1/2 teaspoon salt,
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
spray olive oil

Method:

Preheat oven to 425°F. 
Spray an 8 inch cast iron pan.
Place onion and potatoes in the food processor, and shred with the appropriate disk.
Place potato mixture into a bowl. Add cream cheese, salt and pepper.
Add eggs and mix thoroughly.
Put 1 tablespoon of olive oil in bottom of cast iron pan.
Spoon potato mixture into pan and let cook for one minute.
Reduce oven temperature to 350°F; bake until cake is crisp around edges, about 30 minutes longer.

 Breakfast Ideas Monday              Cast Party Wednesday         Allergy Free Wednesdays         See Ya in the Gumbo      Gluten-free Wednesdays               Whatcha Whipped Up, Wednesday

Comments

  1. I would never have thought to add cream cheese - great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for entering Alphabakes - it's great to welcome someone new to the group! I love your entry as well, it looks really tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds great and is on my must try list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the sound of this "cake"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant "H" entry! loved all your other "H" ideas too. So pleased that you've decided to join in AlphaBakes and I hope you will continue to bake with us in the future. I will be announcing the next letter on my blog on 1st June.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG I love hash browns and your cake is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This reminds me of one of my favorite childhood books where every family's name started with a different letter and they took turns making dinners for each other every night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw this on Cast Party Wednesday and had to pop on over to say how delish is looks. I'd love it if you would link it up at my weekly link party Whatcha Whipped Up Wednesday

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost