Sausage and Peppers - SRS



The Hungry Little Girl has organized this  monthly swap and it is fun.  Why not contact her and join in the cooking fun?  This is my second month of the SRS and the blog chosen for me to cook from is Red, White and Blueberries. 



Red, White and Blueberries
Melissa is a Texan with a diversity of interests and the owner of rescue dogs.  That is impressive.  She was fortunate enough to have cooked with her Mom and grandmother.  To me, that means, family customs and secrets.

I visited the blog a number of times and each time left with another recipe to make for the swap.  The last time, I looked, was close to dinner time so I gravitated to a main course recipe, Sausage and Peppers.  Since we eat little meat, sausage is a treat and I was happy to make an easy.

Last year, I received a huge electric fry pan and decided this was an occasion to use it with all those peppers and onions.  I love using this pan. It is spacious and cleans up easily.

I made a few changes in the recipe.  I used half fresh tomatoes and a can of Eden diced tomatoes with onion.  I also chose a super big onion.  I, indeed, love onions.  Since hubby does not tolerate garlic, I cut way back on the amount.  I had a bottle of marinara opened so I used what was left in place of the canned tomato sauce.

Yes, this is a yummy dish.


Sausage and Peppers 
adapted from Red, White and Blueberries.

1 lb. of turkey sausage, pre-cooked and sliced

1 medium-large onion, sliced with my mandolin so it was thin


3 bell peppers, sliced (used green, red and yellow)

1 serrano pepper, minced

1 teaspooon garlic, minced

Olive oil

1 teaspoon oregano

8 ounces of Marinara


Method:


Heat olive oil, about 2 – 3 tbsp. over medium high heat. Add onions and bell peppers and sauté for 5 – 7 minutes.
 

 Add minced serrano pepper, garlic, salt, pepper and  oregano . Heat for 2 – 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, Marinara, sausage and ½ cup of wine to pan. Simmer for 20 minutes.

 Add additional ½ cup of wine and serve.

HungryLittleGirl

 Thanks Melissa for a filling meal.  I served this with quinoa and a garlic  spinach.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost