Passover Blondies

You are most likely going to see lots of Passover (Pesach) talk and recipes for the next two weeks, here and at My Sweet and Savory.  The holiday starts Friday night and I am spending this week, preparing and cooking.


The first recipes, I generally make, when I start cooking are blondies, chicken soup and a chicken dinner.  This year, I made the blondies and soup and the best burger.  I hope to make all the blondie recipes, I can find to discover which is really the best, if there is such a thing.


Why blondies?  As soon, as I can bake, my husband walks around, chanting, "Blondies, blondies, blondies....."  This is a grown man who waits all year for Passover blondies.  No, I will not make them during the year.


To get ready for Passover, we literally change our kitchen completely, using different pots, pans, dishes, cookie sheets, flatware, serving pieces, etc.  (I want to make it clear, everyone does not do the same thing for Pesach.  I am sharing what we do.  I am sure other bloggers will share how the ready themselves for the holiday.)


We also cover our counters and stoves and I will try to get some pictures up, so you can understand, at least a little. I don't expect people who have not lived this to understand it.  It is different than what most of us generally experience.  While, it is lots of work, it is rewarding and a beautiful week, filled with joy.


Now to the blondies.....


I adapted a recipe from a most magnificent cookbook, a Taste of Tradition presents Pesach - Anything's Possible. If you would like to see some of her other recipes, go here. She posted a few of the recipes, I plan to make. It should be interesting to see, how close I can get to making mine as nice as Tamar's look.

This is a book that is not only for people observing Passover. I have two copies, one that I keep just for the holiday and one I keep, to feed my celiac husband.  There is no matzo used in this book.  Wheat matzo is forbidden for those with celiac.

Pesach Blondies

Ingredients:

4 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup oil
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup potato starch
3 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup ground almonds You can add chocolate chips or raisins to this recipe. I made it plain, this time.

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix eggs, sugars, and oil together until thick. Add in vanilla, potato starch, baking powder and walnuts.


Pour the batter into a lined in two 8 inch   square pan.  I experimented.  In one pan, I used parchment paper and in the other, I sprayed the pan with cooking oil.  The pan with parchment paper cooked slower than the one without.  If you are not using parchment, check even as early as 45 minutes.

I didn't like the parchment paper because I could not get the batter to fill in the shape of the pan and I had curvy sides while the one with spray was nice and square.

Bake for 45 - 55 minutes.

Freezes well.

This is a 5 star recipe, at least for Pesach.



Linked to Mrs. Fox's Sweets Party

Comments

  1. Just realised that this recipe is gluten-free! This will be handy if I'm baking for my celiac friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many people eating gluten-free, these days, it is good to have something ready to go, if one is visiting. We love this blondie.

      Delete
  2. Hi Chaya,
    You are very busy indeed preparing for the Passover Festival! I can imagine all the different delicious foods that will be shared during this festival! Blondies are a good one to share! Have fun and Happy Passover Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to share them here as I bake them. Finding the time to post is the challenge.

      Delete
  3. Hi Bizzy (Chaya)
    THANK you for this recipe
    This is quite new to me as I've never baked Passover blondies before and I like the recipe! Especially when it contains no coconut (that my family doesn't like at all)
    As for preparing the kitchen - I understand you completely. We are very religious. It's not just the kitchen it's the whole house.
    Actually since Monday afternoon we are ready for Passover and no "hametz" is allowed in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something G/F, I can eat!!!!

    thank you!

    "Auntie"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bizzy (Chaya) - thanks so much for your reply in my blog
    1st - I finished early just because I have help, although we're only 2 (at the moment) I have regular help when it comes to the house
    2nd - we're the "sedder" with the family, and I'm only responsible for the cakes :) So it's much easier for me.

    I do not use matzah or matzah-meal and that's why I liked your recipe so much (beside the coconut). But I'm not familiar with Tamar Ansch. I have good recipe for brownies, but I'm always eager to try good new recipes so I'd love to see them. Thanks sooooooo much.
    BTW - the link in your post for some of here recipes doesn't work for me.

    I'll link a good chocolate cake for Passover (with potato-starch) with your party today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to your cake. I am presently cooking meatballs but I want to sneak in a dessert. Your family is fortunate to have you doing desserts. You are, by far, one of the best bakers, I have come across, online or in real life.

      Delete
    2. That is so sweet of you to say ♥
      I'm blushing and I'm already red-hair....

      Delete
    3. I finally got it - yes, I do know Tamar Anch, I even have her book of challahs. I googled and recognized the photo of her challah.
      I love this book, and although I create my own challah-recipes, I learned a lot from her technique.
      Unfortunately her other book are not familiar here.
      Anyway I'm planning to bake this recipe of blonides :)

      Delete
  6. I never really got too into blondies - they're like the unloved cousin of brownies! But I love your Passover baked goods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will fight you over the deliciousness of blondies. They are really good. When you are ready to put up your dukes, let me know. :)

      Delete
  7. Question...

    YOu say almonds, in one part of recipe. Walnuts in another.

    Can use either almonds or walnuts?

    But should both be ground?

    Please and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cool to make a passover version of the blondie. They sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! These sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Bizzy
    Just to let you know that I've made these blondies and we loved them!
    I've posted, and gave you full credit, including a link to this page
    You can check my post here
    http://winnish.blogspot.com/2012/04/blog-post_10.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost