Gluten Free Matzah Balls

Sorry, I did not get a better photo.

Of course, if these are gluten-free, they have no matzah, at least no traditional matzah.  My husband uses oat matzah for Passover and it isn't particularly good.

This year, Yehuda came out with a new matzah, made out of potato starch.  While, it does not qualify for acceptable matzah (from one of the list of specified grains), we think it is delicious.  I think it is the onion in the matzah that makes it so tasty.  I am sorry, we did not buy more boxes, and I may order it, online.

I did make "matzah" balls with this and it came pretty close to the real thing.  I followed a basic kneidlach recipe and adjusted the amount of matzah meal to the right consistency.  It was a treat to have "matzah" balls on Passover, something we have not been able to do, in a while.

Gluten-Free Matzah Balls


1 cup Yehuda potato starch matzah meal (ground matzah in food processor)
2 tablespoons water or chicken soup  (you can use seltzer for a lighter kneidel)
4 eggs, beaten
3 tablespoons olive oil
(I don't use salt and pepper but feel free to improve the taste with a little of each.)

Heat either water or chicken soup to a boil and then lower to simmer.

While the water or soup is heating, combine all the ingredients and place in refrigerator.  Leave it for a minimum of 30 minutes.  It should be firm enough to shape balls.  If it is too wet, add meal until it is workable.  

Form balls about one half inch thick.  If you like them larger, go for one inch in diameter.

Drop balls into simmering water and cook for 30 minutes.

Serve in soup.


Comments

  1. No worries about the photos. As long as it tasted good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matzah is something new to me. It sounds good served in soups!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine a Passover without matzoh balls! I'm so glad you found a way to make it work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost