Walnut Coffee Cake - Cooking Light

Grandchildren are adorable.  I was talking to my three year old granddaughter who was telling me that her Mommy planted berries today.  I asked if I could have some.  She told me, "no, they are at home."  I asked her where I was.  She answered, "in the phone."  Who would have thought?



I bake a lot over Passover but there is no kidding oneself that all the cakes turn out as good as those made with flour.  The brownies, blondies and nut cookies are the real deal and I would bet, it would be difficult to tell that they are for Passover.  I don't use matzah meal which means potato starch is the bulk of each.  I made some great apple desserts using this.

After the holiday, I could not wait to bake something and pulled out the Cooking Light book which has appealed to be since the day, I got it.  When I look through baking books, I must take into consideration which will be made gluten-free with ease and effectively.

Walnut Coffee Cake adapted from Cooking Light Everyday Baking

Ingredients
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup chopped walnuts (chopped small)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 1/4 cups gluten-free flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
10 tablespoon oil
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups nonfat buttermilk
Cooking spray

Method:

Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine brown sugar, walnuts, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Set aside.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk.

Combine sugar and oil in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium-high speed until well combined. Add  eggs and; beat 3 minutes or until combined. Beat in vanilla.

Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating well after each addition and scraping sides of bowl. Spoon half of batter into a 10-inch Bundt pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle brown sugar mixture evenly over batter; spoon remaining half of batter into pan. 

Bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

Eat and enjoy.

Linked to:  See ya in the Gumbo      Tempting Tuesday       Tuesday's Table       Simple Supper Tuesdays     Hearth and Soul       Two Cup Tuesday    Create Link Inspire

Comments

  1. Thank you for the beautiful cook there recipes for cooking in large exceed 370 Recipes
    http://cookingrecipes2015.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Chaya!
    That is just so adorable! Kids do say the darndest things don't they, lol...I'll be going to visit my grandchildren in a cople of days. I can't wait!!! They grow so fast:)

    Of course, your cake sounds amazing! It looks even better, lol...I have never tried any gluten free recipes. I'm beginning to think I should though because omitting flour is never a bad thing even if one is not gluten intolerant. I'll be saving this Walnut Coffee Cake recipe for sure! Thank you so much for sharing, Chaya...It really is so nice to "see" you:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose I am dating myself, though I remember the show, "kids say the darnedest things"! Adorable!
    and the cake looks wonderful. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chaya,
    Your grand-daughter is really cute!
    This is one lovely cake.
    Glad to see your baking post again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can never go wrong with cake. That pan is one of my favorites. The cake always looks so elegant. This one looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now Chaya, what were you doing in the phone?! Funny girl.

    Thank you for linking this pretty cake. I'm sure it smelled fantastic baking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that your Granddaughter thought you were in the phone, Chaya. My son had a similar thought about his grandparents once a long time ago :-) Your Walnut Coffee Cake looks just beautiful and sounds so delicious. Thank you for sharing it with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop. I'll be featuring it in this week's post. Pinned too :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost