Cassoulet with Lots of Vegetables

Cassoulet with Lots of Vegetables -Food of the World

































The name of this recipe appealed to me, immediately, because I thought, it had no meat in it. I was wrong. It calls for a choice Italian sausage, bone-in pork chops, comfit duck legs or duck breasts. No, no, Mr. Bittman - not for me and I don't believe we missed anything without the meat.  Of course, I found out, after the fact that a cassoulet usually does have meat in it.


I like what Mark does put into it - that is Mark Bittman, the author of Food Matters. I left out the meat and will ask, "Who needed it?" This totally vegetable dish was filled with flavor and we cleaned our dishes.

We like this cassoulet and I would be happy to make this again. It was filled with veggies, which we love and the combination was one, both hubby and I enjoy. I pretty much followed the recipe but I turned it, into a soup by adding some organic vegetable broth and water. It was rich and delicious.

Cassoulet with Lots of Vegetables (adapted)

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons olive oil

1 pound Italian sausages, bone-in pork chops, confit duck legs, or duck breasts, or a combination
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 onion, sliced
1 carrot, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
1 celery stalk, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1 medium zucchini , cut into small pieces
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups chopped tomatoes, with their juice (I used canned)
2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley leaves
1 teaspoon thyme leaves
1 bay leaves
2 cups cooked white beans (canned), drained and liquid reserved in any case
1 cups stock, dry red wine, bean cooking liquid, or water, plus more as needed
2 cups organic vegetable broth

Method:

Heat oil in saucepan and add garlic, onions, carrots , celery and zucchini.  

Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Cook for five minutes.

Add tomatoes, broth and herbs and bring to a  boil.

Add beans and bring to a boil again.  Cook for 20 minutes, mixing occasionally.  Add water if necessary.

Eat and enjoy.


I am sharing this with Food of the World.  I am having such fun joining in this month with French cooking.  Why don't you join us?

Linked to Foodie Friday

Comments

  1. You should share this on Food of the World. This a terrific recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost