Brown Rice with Eggplant


When I make rice, I usually make enough for a minimum of two dishes and often for three. This time, it served the purpose of a yummy side and a salad. My side was based on a search through my freezer and refrigerator. I found an eggplant in the refrigerator that was not going to last much longer and found a fabulous tomato sauce, in the freezer. Unfortunately, I have no idea what was in the sauce other than diced tomatoes. All I know, is that it was well flavored.

Brown Rice with Eggplant

1 eggplant, peeled and diced

1 1/2 cups tomato sauce

2 cups brown rice, cooked according to package directions.

Microwave eggplant and sauce 4 minutes or until soft or firm enough for your liking.

Place rice into a lightly greased casserole. Add eggplant and sauce and mix well.

I heated it together for about ten minutes.

* If you want to add cheese to this, I would top it with shredded mozzarella before baking and bake until cheese is melted and slightly browned.

** This would be even better - add caramelized onions

***Chopped green peppers is also a good addition.


Linked to See Ya in the Gumbo    In and Out of the Kitchen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost