Corn Tortilla Casserole



My husband now gets home before me.  I used to get home, check my email and sit for a few minutes, even read a book or magazine.  This was important time because it gave me the opportunity to unwind.  Teaching can be overwhelming if one puts her heart and soul into it which I usually do.  I find it difficult to walk away and forget the kids and sometimes even the classwork.  

It was easy when we would eat about 7.  Even with errands, I am home about  5:30.  This leaves time for some restful moments and dinner preparation.  (On good days, I cook in the morning.)

Before, I go on.......I must make a disclaimer"  Hubby is not a selfish or impatient man.  He is quite respectful of me and my time.

That put aside, I will describe my homecoming.  I walk in the door and after a  brief greeting, he asks what is for dinner.  I glare at him and say something like, "Let me put my books down."  He is agreeable.

I put my books down and he stares at me.  Since my mind is a million miles away from dinner, I look back with a queried expression, thinking to myself, "Did I forget to pick up the cleaning?"  He is patient and waits at least 30 seconds before repeating his question.  "So, what's for dinner?"

It happened, the other night, I had made no plans for dinner and was pretty sure that hubby said, he would barbecue.  Obviously, he did not remember this.  I decided to stare him down, hoping hamburgers would  pop into his mind.  I guess that didn't happen.

I had defrosted some corn tortillas and decided to do something with them so I sent him on his way, turned on my tablet looking for a recipe and  ended up in Recipe Land and found this recipe.


Corn Tortilla Casserole   (adapted)

Ingredients:

2 each corn tortillas
1 1/2 cups Mexican cheese shredded
1 thin sliced tomato
1 cup corn kernels frozen (I used a little more)
1 onion, diced
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 red bell pepper

Method:

Grease a 2 quart square baking dish.

Tear tortillas into bite size pieces.

Arrange  the tortillas in the baking dish.

Top with half of the cheese, half of the tomato, half of the corn, and half of the  onions.

Repeat layering with the remaining tortillas, cheese, corn, and onions.

Stir together eggs, buttermilk and chili peppers, Gently pour over tortilla mixture.

Top with fresh herbs.  I took from our garden, chives and basil and a bit of parsley

Bake, uncovered in a 325 degrees F. oven about 30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.  Mine took a lot longer and I raised the temperature to 350 degrees.  I would suggest starting at the higher temperature and to start checking after one half hour.  I am guessing, it will take a little longer than that.

Serve warm
.   This would make a good side dish served with fish.




Eat and enjoy.  

Linked to Fun Friday    Foodastic Friday    Foodie Friday

Comments

  1. These look really good. I never made corn tortilla's..I must try these. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great recipe! I will have to try this for breakfast.
    You should link it up at my site for Fun Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never made tortilla with egg. Pinning this need to try soon. Thanks for sharing this with us on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness this looks good, especially for a spur of the moment dinner. Sometimes that "what's for dinner" question can be grating after working all day!
    Thank you for stopping by this week, Chaya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delish! Featuring it on my blog this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like a little space when I get home too. I need to unwind and relax. Now that both my husband and I are retired ( me from teaching) we are together it seems all the time.. I'm working on patience and getting used to our new routines. The recipe looks great and nice and easy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost