Black Beans and Rice with Mango


Do you know about My Kitchen My World?  Each month, they travel to a new location and we cook dishes from that place.  Last month was Argentina and this month is Cuba.  The group is open to everyone.  If you are interested, go on over and leave a comment.  There are no requirements as to how often you have to cook.  Simply, join in and have fun.

Cuban cooking is enjoyable.  For me, the word mango is magic and I made two recipes using mango and then made myself Mangolope (a drink I created, blending mango and cantelope).

"Cuban cuisine is a fusion of Spanish, African, and Caribbean cuisine." You will find my Caribbean coconut chicken here.


Black Beans and Rice with Mango-- adapted from  Cocina Cubana Club

 Ingredients:

1/4 cup mild sausage crumbled (not married to my husband, you can use something spicier)
1/2 cup red pepper, chopped
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1//2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 (15oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 cup water
1 tsp dried oregano, crushed
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (I used less)
2 cups cooked brown rice
1/2 cup chopped fresh mango

Cook first sausage, red pepper and onion in a large skillet over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes, till sausage is browned. 


Add garlic, beans, water, oregano and crushed red pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

To serve, spoon bean mixture over rice in servings bowls, then top with fresh mango. If desired, garnish with fresh oregano. 


 Makes 4 servings.


Comments

  1. This is a very interesting food that I will not hesitate to taste when the opportunity comes right in front of me.Have a great week ahead Chaya

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have never thought of adding mango. I'll have to give this a try! Thanks for joining us at the Let's Get Social Sunday party this week. Enjoy your Sunday :) Diane @MamalDiane

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost