Spicy Fried Rice with Peanuts - Kosher Connection

 
This month, Chinese Food is the theme for our recipes for Kosher Connection.  This is not authentic fried rice but I think it still fits the category.  This is Ellie Krieger's Spicy Fried Rice with Peanuts and it is good, even better than my more traditional recipes for the rice. 

For those of you who do not know how much respect, I have for Ellie's dishes, let me say right now, I have found her food to be healthy and tasty and hubby loves anything I make from her books.  He does not know they are Ellie recipes but when I make one, he always comments on how good it is.

I have made this recipe a number of times with minor changes, each time, such as leaving out chicken, this time.  I already had a chicken dish made and saw no reason to add it to the rice.  This was part of a Chanukah meal.

I have this posted on My Sweet and Savory with Cashews in place of the peanuts.

Spicy Fried Rice with Peanuts - adapted from Ellie Krieger (Comfort Food Fix)

Ingredients:
1/4 cup less-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups red bell peppers , diced (about 2)
1 cup onion , diced

1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon fresh ginger , peeled and minced
4 cups brown rice , cooked and cold
1/2 can sliced water chestnuts , drained and chopped
1/3 cup dry-roasted unsalted peanuts 


Method:

Combine first 4 ingredients in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk.
 

Heat oil in a wok or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers, diced onion to pan; stir-fry 3 minutes or until tender.
 

Add ginger and garlic; stir-fry 1 minute.

Add rice and water chestnuts; stir-fry for 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring gently.


Add soy sauce mixture; cook 2 minutes more, tossing to coat.


Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons peanuts.


The photo on the top of the page is from my original recipe with cashews.  It appears, I did not take any pictures of the later dish.  The major differences are that this has cashews and chicken rather than peanuts.  

Comments

  1. December and Christmas go hand in hand with Chinese food. At least in my Jewish family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hubby would love this with cashews!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds great. Love those cashews in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the use of brown rice and cashews; different than the usual. No matter if it isn't "authentic" Chinese. Neither are most other so-called Chinese recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make fried rice often, never added nuts thought, thanks for the new idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Made this for the hubby with chicken added, he loved it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost