Recipe Box - Crispy Baked Zucchin Potato Pancakes



It is Chanukah and it is traditional to eat fried foods.  The custom of eating fried foods is in remembrance of the miracle of Chanukah, which is centered around oil (one cruse lasting for eight days). Latkes (fried potato pancakes) are traditional, topped with applesauce or sour cream, but there are all kinds of vegetable pancakes that are also delicious. Jelly doughnuts are also popular during this holiday.


I decided to go the healthy route and followed Ellie Krieger's baked latke recipe and also made three of them in a skillet.  We had the best of both worlds, mostly baked with a naughty bite of fried pancakes.


I like the idea of including zucchini.  I have made potato latkes with carrots in the past, also.  I did alter the amounts used in the recipe and since we finished them up, I did a good job.  On the other hand, hubby tends to finish whatever is there.  Skinny men can get away with it.


I made this before and fortunately and I had this photo.  My photos tonight were all blurred and I could not use them.  This is from April and is far superior to anything I got, today.


I can't find where it says to add the onions.  I just mixed them in the batter when I combined all the ingredients.


Crispy Baked Zucchini Potato Pancakes
Page 236 of Comfort Food Fix - Krieger


Ingredients:

Olive oil cooking spray
2 easpoons olive oil
1 largel onion, thinly sliced
2 gold potato unpeeled
1 medium zucchini unpeeled, ends removed
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites
1/4 cup gluten-free flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon  ground black pepper




Method:

Preheat oven to 400. coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
 

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened and golden, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.

Grate the potato and zucchini on the large holes of a box grater. Place the grated potato and zucchini in a kitchen towel or cheesecloth and twist over the sink to squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Transfer the zucchini and potato to a bowl. In small bowl, beat together the eggs and egg whites to combine. Add the eggs, lemon juice, flour salt, and pepper to the potato mixture and stir until well combined.


Heat the prepared baking sheet in the oven for 3 -5 minutes until hot but before the oil begins to smoke. Remove the baking sheet and immediately begin to make the pancakes. 


Place them on the tray. Use an ice cream scoop of batter for each, forming it into a flat, 2-3 inch pancake. 

Bake until the edges begin to crisp. 7-8 minutes. remove from oven and spray the tops of the pancakes with cooking spray and flip the pancakes. Bake until browned and crisp, about 5 minutes more. 

Makes 4 servings
.

Looking back:

Wicked Spinach Dip in Crusty Bread from Random Scraps


Winnie's Spiral Herb Bread


Banana Muffins with Cinnamon Crumb Topping from Mamal Diane


Your turn: 

Comments

  1. I love zucchini fritters! Even at Channukah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LATKES - yesssssssssssss
    I loooooooove latkes, but I have to admit I'm not very good with frying
    Thanks for the recipe Chaya, and THANKS SOOOOOO MUCH for featuring my Spiral Herb Bread !!

    Happy Hanukkah Chaya to you and all your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chaya, Happy Hanukkah to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the feature Chaya! Warmest Chanukah wishes,

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·`¤... Jennifer
    http://jennsrandomscraps.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Hanukkah!

    Those Zucchini Potato Pancakes look wonderful and I love that they are baked!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Chaya I love both zucchini and potato pancakes, never had them together..must try. thanks for the party Happy Chanukah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the party! As you celebrate the Festival of Lights, may your home be bright with happiness and love. Best Wishes at Hanukkah, Chaya!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Chaya, thanks for hosting, enjoy your day :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the idea of adding the zucchini to the pancakes - they sound delicious! Thank you for hosting, and Happy Hanukkah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love the idea that these pancakes are baked instead of frying it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like crispy on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside food like this. Yum! Happy Hnukkah!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost